GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   All-Glass mini-compact fluorescents (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16246-all-glass-mini-compact-fluorescents.html)

Phil Dietz 20-04-2003 07:17 AM

All-Glass mini-compact fluorescents

Has anyone tried one of these lights ??

They are basically a small 6500K fluorescent lamp for use with the
MiniBow2.5 and MiniBow5 gallon tanks.

Supposedly they put out 50watts of light...which is much more than the
std 15watt incandescent bulbs those kits come with.

Heres a link to it:
http://www.all-glass.com/products/ot...nicompact.html

chet 20-04-2003 07:17 AM

All-Glass mini-compact fluorescents

I use them all over the house. Pick 'em up at home depot. very bright and
cheap to keep. I haven't used them in an aquarium, but they are pretty
efficient.

chet

om...

Phil Dietz 20-04-2003 07:17 AM

"chet" chet-at-surewestDOTnet wrote in message ...
I use them all over the house. Pick 'em up at home depot. very bright and
cheap to keep. I haven't used them in an aquarium, but they are pretty
efficient.

I went to Lowe's and only found Westinghouse and Sylvania bulbs. They
were all 4000K...some 2100K.

The All-Glass I mentioned are 6400K spectrum.

Cesium 20-04-2003 07:17 AM

All-Glass mini-compact fluorescents

If you are going for plants, might i suggest:
www.ahsupply.com
I just ordered a 2x13w kit with two bulbs, total cost with shipping: $32.
I'll soon have 26 watts on my 5 gallon tank.

As for the mini compact things, I highly doubt that they actually put out 50
watts in comparison to a power compact setup. I retrofitted an economy hood
for a 10g with bulbs from home depot just because they are brighter for
viewing, but I have yet to see any evidence that they would help with plant
growth.

If you aren't going for plants, just go to homedepot and buy a 6 pack of
something similiar to that bulb for around 8 bucks, they'll make the
aquarium brighter for viewing fish.
-Cesium

---

Cannibul 20-04-2003 07:17 AM

On 6 Jan 2003 19:25:27 -0800, (Phil Dietz) wrote:

Has anyone tried one of these lights ??

They are basically a small 6500K fluorescent lamp for use with the
MiniBow2.5 and MiniBow5 gallon tanks.

Supposedly they put out 50watts of light...which is much more than the
std 15watt incandescent bulbs those kits come with.

Heres a link to it:
http://www.all-glass.com/products/ot...nicompact.html

They are not 50 watt bulbs. They are 10 watt florescent lights. They
put out about the same amount of light as a 50 watt incandescent
light. But with aquariums we always measure light in florescent
watts.

Phil Dietz 20-04-2003 07:17 AM

All-Glass mini-compact fluorescents

My LFS was able to get a hold of these All-Glass mini compact lights
so I bought one yesterday. $12.99 (versus $6.99 for a 4000K lamp at
Lowes).

It screwed into the mini-box2.5 with ease. Its a tall-skinny light.
Not a short-fat one like the HW store sells. So I didn't have to
remove the splash guard.

After plugging it into the mini-bow 2.5, it is much brighter than the
incandescent. The light appears 6400K. It's very white.

Only problem I see is with the tank design itsself. The left side of
the tank is lit much more than the right side. I better get the
left-side Betta some sun-glasses.

Maybe I'll try reflecting the light to the right-side with some shiny
metal.

Gene Heitman 20-04-2003 07:17 AM

All-Glass mini-compact fluorescents

I have one of these in my Eclipse Hex 5 (5 gallon hexagonal shaped tank)
from Marineland. It has a pair of Dwarf Gouramis and a pair of Cherry Barbs
and is planted with Rotala and Hygrophilia Polysperma "Tropic Sunset". I
fertilize it with 3 Root Tabs once a month and a half capful of Flora Care
Plant Gro once a week. The tank is very well lit and the Rotala are growing
like crazy. I've had to prune them back so that they don't overwhelm the
tank. The Hygrophilia Polysperma are also doing well. I'm very satisfied
with this light and highly recommend it.

--
Gene Heitman
Champaign, Illinois

om...