Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

Default DIY CO2 tube creating reverse siphon ???

Hi Folks,

75 Gallon

I made a CO2 reactor tonight baesed on some stuff I saw on The Krib.
Basically I used a gravel vac and drilled a hole on the top and inserted the
CO2 airline through. The CO2 airline is secured inside the gravel tube with
a suction cup to hold it in the middle.

The airline tube is about 3/4 of the way down in the water with this new
setup. What I notice happening was a reverse siphon was being created
through the CO2 tube. I'm not quite sure why. I have a Magnum 350 hooked
into this that blows its outlet through and disolves any CO2 bubbles.

Do you think the force of the water flowing through the gravel tube is
pushing water into the CO2 airline and starting the siphon? I do have a
check-valve, so it's not causing any problems. Also, maybe because the
airline tube is deeper in the tank and there is no power head to creat a
sucking action on the line could be a reason this is happening???

Do you think the CO2 pressure will build up enough and stop the siphoning
action and push the CO2 into the tank instead? I have 3L glass bottles,
*not* plastic. I wouldn't think there would be any chance of the
exploding???

Any ideas about how to correct this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

OK, maybe I spoke too soon, but hey, a reverse siphon is something to worry
about. =/

The pressure appears to be building up to the level in the 2 3L glass jugs
where the CO2 is being through the airline. I have seen the air bubbles in
the line starting to slowly move up. This is good.

Everything is working great.

thanks for reading.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 06:31:39 GMT, "SlimFlem"
wrote:

The pressure appears to be building up to the level in the 2 3L glass jugs
where the CO2 is being through the airline. I have seen the air bubbles in
the line starting to slowly move up. This is good.

Yup, I suspect it was just the fact that there wasn't yet enough
pressure in the yeast bottle to push back against that much water
pressure.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Tasslehoff

1) Make sure the checkvalve is the right way around. 2). If the jugs are
below the waterline, after a few months the checkvalve will probably lose
integrity and disintegrate as a result of the CO2 and this will be very very
bad.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Empty

"SlimFlem" wrote in

The pressure appears to be building up to the level in the 2 3L glass
jugs where the CO2 is being through the airline. I have seen the air

GLASS?

Bad plan, man... If you get a signifigant clog you have a grenade by your
tank.

~Empty

--
"I'm constantly forgetting my own phone number. Quite simply,
it's because I never call myself. (I used to, but I was never

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

Thanks for the tip. My jugs are below the waterline. I'll make sure to
change them every month to be safe.

u...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

Yeah. A number of people on this group and other web sites recommended
glass. It's heavier, has more of a base, and won't tip over. If you are
running the CO2 line into a powerhead, then the suction will not deflate the
glass like a plastic bottle.

However, I do see your point. How would you recommend to add something into
the line so if the pressure reaches a certain point, a pressure release
valve will open...or something like that....without buying a compressed
tank, etc.

thanks,
jesse

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Empty

"SlimFlem" wrote in
newslBS9.596786$WL3.177555@rwcrnsc54:

Yeah. A number of people on this group and other web sites
recommended glass. It's heavier, has more of a base, and won't tip
over. If you are running the CO2 line into a powerhead, then the
suction will not deflate the glass like a plastic bottle.

Personally, I always used the thick plastic jugs Ocean Spray Cranberry
juice comes in... The are very solid and have a strong base.

However, I do see your point. How would you recommend to add
something into the line so if the pressure reaches a certain point, a
pressure release valve will open...or something like that....without
buying a compressed tank, etc.

I would not know about the pressure thing... Maybedrill a hole in it and
cover the hole with a piece of tape? I just know I would be nervous with a
potentially fata (to the fish *and* me) timebomb lying around.

~Empty

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Colin

"Empty" wrote in message
[...]

As long as you've not got a screw-on lid, then surely any pressure build up
will just pop the cork?

I use a standard 5L glass demijohn with a pre-drilled rubber bung. The
airline is siliconed into the bung. I'm certain that if anything does ever
clog, either the bung or airline will let go before the glass.

The best idea I've heard for a pressure relief device though is to fit a
T-connector in your airline, close to the bottle, with a piece of balloon
over the end. You'll soon see a blockage 'cos the balloon expands, and it
would pop if the pressure got too high. I'm sure there was a discussion on
this or one of the other aquaria groups just a few weeks ago.

Colin

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SlimFlem

I am using screw on tops. I'll check into getting some plastic stoppers
instead. I'll also try and find the threads about pressure relief.

thanks.

"Colin" wrote in message
.. .

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Empty

"Colin" wrote in
:

As long as you've not got a screw-on lid, then surely any pressure
build up will just pop the cork?

I use a standard 5L glass demijohn with a pre-drilled rubber bung. The
airline is siliconed into the bung. I'm certain that if anything does
ever clog, either the bung or airline will let go before the glass.

Ahhhh OK... Yeah a bung would do the job nicely. I was thinking this was a
screw-on lid...

The best idea I've heard for a pressure relief device though is to fit
a T-connector in your airline, close to the bottle, with a piece of
balloon over the end. You'll soon see a blockage 'cos the balloon
expands, and it would pop if the pressure got too high. I'm sure there
was a discussion on this or one of the other aquaria groups just a few
weeks ago.

That is a good idea

~Empty
Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
kush

Empty is right. I've tried just about everything and the plastic juice jug
is the best. It is sturdy and has a stable base.

SlimFlem wrote in message
I am using screw on tops. I'll check into getting some plastic stoppers
instead. I'll also try and find the threads about pressure relief.

thanks.

"Colin" wrote in message
.. .