Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
ConvictKid

Default Ummmm Brown Stuff?

I recently turned one of my 29gals into a planted tank. I admit I didn't
do the proper research.

The plants I have a 6 Mondo Grass bunches and 3 Anubius (Nana)

I have a DIY yeast reactor. With a DIY bubble counter. I don't know if
this matters. But I am getting about 25 bubbles per minute.

Also I don't have alot of light at all. The tank is 29gal and I have 1
20watt Normal Fluro. I do plan on getting better lighting eventually.

My question is. About a week after I introduced my plants into my tank
I started getting a bunch of this brown stuff all over everything. I
haven't changed anythin in the tank, except I added #20 sand (3.5")
and my plants. I do water changes twice a week, and every time a water
change is do, this brown stuff is everywhere! It really doesn't look
like algea. Does anybody know what this is? How I can get rid of it?
Is it bad?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
kush

First, you don't need the CO2 unless you're just trying to lower your pH or
something. It's not doing anything for the plants at that light level.

Is the brown stuff "slime?" If so, it's bacterial and your lfs can give you
something to treat for it. If not, it's most likely diatoms, a form of
algae which thrives at low light levels.

Recommendation: 1) add ottos and/or snails. 2) increase lighting and/or lose
the CO2.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
SteveG

Mondo grass ( http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=159 ) is not a
aquatic plant. It will just survive in the tank for a few weeks without any
new growth. And then it will just die off.

How long have you had the tank running?
How much of the water do you remove from the tank whenever you do a water
change(% of tank volume)?

SteveG