Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Daniel C. Smith

Default Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil

Hey Everyone, well I'm always trying to figure out what I'm going to do
next, so I'm wondering what kind of subtrate I should use for my next
planted aquarium. I was looking at some pond accessories at Home Depot's
website when I came across some "aquatic plant soil" by Schultz. It says
that it won't cloud the water or float in it. Wouldn't this make an
excellant substrate for an aquarium too? Has anyone tried this before, and
if so, how were your results. Just curious. Thanks.

Daniel

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
redled

Worked great for me. Be sure to add some laterite though. Here is some more
technical info on it:

http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_substrate.htm

In my experience it works great. I use it with laterite, and I spend a lot of
time pruning! Anyways, the only things about it are you have to rinse it
lots, and it's hard to initially plant stuff in it, because it's pretty light
(but does not float). Just be patient, and keep replanting, and in a few days
roots will be big enough to stay put. An alternative is to put a 1" layer of
sand on top, but I don't think it's worth the effort as when you replant it
will just get mixed in. For some experiences go to http://groups.google.com
and do a search for "profile substrate". It's also sold as "profile clay soil
conditioner". I would reccomend it to anyone who is hesitant to spend the
money on flourite.

In article , "Daniel C. Smith"
wrote:
Hey Everyone, well I'm always trying to figure out what I'm going to do
next, so I'm wondering what kind of subtrate I should use for my next
planted aquarium. I was looking at some pond accessories at Home Depot's
website when I came across some "aquatic plant soil" by Schultz. It says
that it won't cloud the water or float in it. Wouldn't this make an
excellant substrate for an aquarium too? Has anyone tried this before, and
if so, how were your results. Just curious. Thanks.

Daniel

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John
Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Jerry

First, the color is some what of a clay looking substance, which is no way
as pleasing as flourite.
Second, it is a some what of a light substance and doesn't have the weight
of flourite for securing plants.
IHO, flourite is the way to go for overall appearance and it provides some
intrient benefit. I use "Aquatic Plant Soil" for my plants in my pond where
I find cost and appearance not as important. It is "good" stuff in right
place.

jerry

aquatic plant soil Emerald Gardening 0 20-04-2005 12:31 PM
SCHULTZ MultiCote TIME-RE [email protected] Gardening 0 20-01-2005 06:32 AM
SCHULTZ MultiCote TIME-RELEASE PLANT FOOD Romy Beeck Gardening 2 17-01-2005 05:42 PM
Aquatic Plant Soil Charles Ponds 14 15-02-2004 08:02 AM
Schultz "Multi Cote" Slow Release Rose & Flower Chow Shiva Roses 6 18-02-2003 07:03 PM