Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Scott Taylor

Default Cabomba cuttings rotting at the base

I have a large amount (approx 40 grouped in lots of 5 or 6) of Cabomba
cuttings in my 48" x 15" x 12" tropical freshwater aquarium which is
filtered by an UG filter and an 800lph Canister Filter. The tank also
recieves around 10-12 hours of light per day. My substrate is small gravel
and I regulary add plant fertilizer to the tank (generally after the weekly
water change). My problem is that the Cabomba cuttings rot at the base just
below the gravel and break off and float aorund the tank. The tank also
contains around 30 cuttings of Myriophyllum and 20 of Hygrophilia but they
don't rot like the Cabomba does. Every article I can find about Cabomba says
that it is fine for gravel but none mention this problem I keep having.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong and the best way to fix it? Its just
getting annoying having to constantly replant those cuttings that keep
floating away!

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Tasslehoff

How many watts per gallon of light do you have. I tried transplanting some
to my small 15G platy breeder tank but the stalks went brown and started to
disintegrate in almost a week with 1w/G but it thrives in my 2.5W/G light
40G CO2 tank both UGF gravel. Perhaps minimising water current if possible
might help as well.

u...

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Stuart Mueller

[...]

I have the same problem with eloda, it grows a lovely green colour at the
top, and I'm having to prune it about once every two weeks, some time once a
week.
But about 2inches of the bottom is always a horrible yellow colour does
anybody know why?
I also can't get it to stay in the gravel any pointers there?

Stu

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
350X_Rider

Cabomba is a particularly delicate plant, that I myself have never been able
to keep from rotting, in any sized gravel at all... I would bet a soil
substrate could hold it down and not put too much pressure on the stalk to
start the rotting process, but alas, I'm sure you'll not be using soil, so I
would venture a guess to say that maybe trimming the lower 1/4 part of it's
leaves, cut stalk at an angle, dig a small recess in your gravel to allow
you to place it deep enough to hold, gently place gravel around it, but
realize if you damage the stalk, that's where the rotting will begin,
again....

Good luck, as I've never had any luck with ANY cabomba I've ever had... Now
Crypts on the other hand.. wow... need some? jk...

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Xerces

Thats funny, I have the opposite exp with Cabomba. In my 66 gal
planted it grows like a weed! I have plain old Wallmart gravel over
peatmoss. I end up giving away/tossing some every 4 ~ 6 weeks.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Colin

I've given up trying to root mine. I just keep re-packing 6 or eight stems
in a foam strip and plant weight and leave it in that until it hits the
surface (often not even burying it in the gravel - the base is hidden by a
piece of bogwood in my tank).

When it hits the surface, I prune off the top half and repeat. I find that
if I try and actually plant it in the substrate, the base always gets far
too many roots to be attractive, and shade of the top of the plant turns the
lower leaves yellow; by continuously replanting there are always fresh
looking plant stems. I believe this is pretty much how it normally
propagates anyway - the top of the stems break off and re-root.

I have to re-plant about once a week normally - 6-8 inches of growth.

Colin