Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Chris Rockstrom

Default lighting questions.

HI.

I currently have a 72 gallon bowfront tank, which has 2 regular
stip-hood lights on top, for a total of 80 wpg. I have some java fern
and moss, annubias and some cyrpts in there. I have only had the tank
up for a several months, so I am not sure if the cypts are going to do
ok, because my dear apple snail (not the good kind) has eaten them down
to the ground. I am currently trying to find him a new home.

well, what I am thinking of doing, is ditching one of the stip-lights, (
having 2 up there, interferes with opening the top), and getting a 2x55
watts kitt from ah supply, for a total of 110 watts, over 72 gallons of
water.

I would like more of a variety of plants in my tank, yet still not have
to be too worried about algae outbreaks, co2, measuring different
levels of nutrients, etc. JUst basically keeping it real simple, yet
still being able to support a greater variety of plant life, and also
eat up some of my nitrates.

I'm wondering, at 110 watts:

1. ) is that going to be enough light, to get me into moderate light
plants (vs. low light)

2..) am going to have to worry about algae outbreaks. as it is, I have
almost no noticable algae, and I really like that. some algae is ok, of
course, but I don't want a constant battle on my hands. I have 1
bristlenosed pleco, and he keeps it clean. I also have 2 false SAE's
(thankyou Baensch)

3.) verify, that I do not need Co2 at that light level.

4.) even though it is a pain, I could keep the additoinal stip light for
an extra 40 watts (150 total). would that be better, and yet still low
enough for no co2. (I was going to give it away)

any thoughts you have on this would be greatly appreciated
thanks,

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Dave Millman

Chris Rockstrom wrote:

HI.

I currently have a 72 gallon bowfront tank

snip

well, what I am thinking of doing, is ditching one of the stip-lights, (
having 2 up there, interferes with opening the top), and getting a 2x55
watts kitt from ah supply, for a total of 110 watts, over 72 gallons of
water.

I would like more of a variety of plants in my tank, yet still not have
to be too worried about algae outbreaks, co2, measuring different
levels of nutrients, etc. JUst basically keeping it real simple, yet
still being able to support a greater variety of plant life, and also
eat up some of my nitrates.

I'm wondering, at 110 watts:

1. ) is that going to be enough light, to get me into moderate light
plants (vs. low light)

I have this tank. It's main problem as a planted aquarium is it's depth-24".
This means that you need to be at the upper end of the range for whatever
you are targeting. I also hope you have long arms and a step ladder!

In my case, with bottled CO2, 3x55 AHS lights (a bit over 2WPG) was simply
inadequate. 4x55 (a bit over 3wpg) works fine.

In your case, 2x55 will give you about 1.5 WPG, which, because of the depth,
is comparable to about 1WPG in the 16-20" deep tanks that most people have.
This could work fine for you, but DO NOT DISCARD YOUR OTHER FIXTURES!!!! You
may want to experiment with higher light levels later, and you will regret
getting rid of them.

The good news with AHS is that it is easy to add single or double kits to
get the wattage you want. I started with a 1x55 and a 2x55, then added
another 1x55 to get my current system.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Joe Ferenchik

I'm running the same setup on a 75 @ 12 hours per day. Love it...

I would like more of a variety of plants in my tank, yet still not have
to be too worried about algae outbreaks, co2, measuring different
levels of nutrients, etc. JUst basically keeping it real simple, yet
still being able to support a greater variety of plant life, and also
eat up some of my nitrates.

I'm wondering, at 110 watts:

1. ) is that going to be enough light, to get me into moderate light
plants (vs. low light)

2..) am going to have to worry about algae outbreaks. as it is, I have
almost no noticable algae, and I really like that. some algae is ok, of
course, but I don't want a constant battle on my hands. I have 1
bristlenosed pleco, and he keeps it clean. I also have 2 false SAE's
(thankyou Baensch)

I let the fertilizer slide a little and I got a horrendous algae
outbreak. I was skeptical about adding more fertilizer, thinking that
it would fuel the fire as it were. I added it anyway and the plants
took off and the algae was essentially eradicated in about a week.

3.) verify, that I do not need Co2 at that light level.

with those plants probably not, but supplementation you'll get better
growth. I'm running a pressurized system, so i'll let one of the
experts direct you on this.

4.) even though it is a pain, I could keep the additoinal stip light for
an extra 40 watts (150 total). would that be better, and yet still low
enough for no co2. (I was going to give it away)

left to those in the know...

good luck and have fun with it...