Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
m.dekort

Default Algae Fix liquid - does it work in a planted tank?

This product claims to cut algae in a planted tank. Does it
work?

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
kush

Didn't do anything for me. It's been a while since I tried it but, as I
recollect, the label disclaims something to the effect that it is not
effective on all types of algae - apparently that would include any of the
five or six varieties which were growing in my tanks at the time.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM

m.dekort wrote in message
This product claims to cut algae in a planted tank. Does it
work?

Adding PO4 can cut algae in many planted tanks.
Adding NO3 or K can reduce algae in planted tanks.
Adding CO2 properly will reduce algae in planted tanks,
Using a good substrate with iron will reduce algae in planted tanks.
Adding enough trace elements for the plants will reduce algae in a
planted tank.
Pruning regularly and hving enough plants from the very start will
reduce algae in a planted tank.
Adding herbivores will reduce algae in a planted tank.

A smart sapling would work on these methods of reducing algae. Because
these do work on all types of algae, and they focus on growing healthy
plants.

Algae reducers, snake oils, miracle cures, etc do not grow plants
which is why you have the algae in the first place.

Folks miss that point far too often.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
kush

Thanks, good points. I should have added that, after the AlgaeFix didn't
work for me, I solved the problem by...

a) adding a second bottle of DIY Co2,
b) correcting an iron deficiency,
c) lowering the thermostat to 72º,
d) reducing the period of lighting from 12 hours to 11 hours, and
e) adding two really cool pl*cos to the tank...

....which was more complicated than simply adding chemicals, but which
addressed the actual causes of the problem.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

wrote in message
om...

.. .

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Robert

My experience has been that it works quite well without harming the plants.
It fills a gap in esthetics until you complete the fine tuning of your
set-up. It's my experience that talk is cheap and experience pricey when
trying to find the secret that's causing your algae problem...especially in
a 120 that tests "good" across the board...

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Focus Group -- CO2 tank system fireblade Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 06-09-2005 04:17 PM
RO for a planted tank: Shakey's tank Shakey Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 07-12-2003 04:04 AM
RO for a planted tank: Shaky's tank [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-12-2003 07:03 PM
Algae free fish tank vs Algae fish tank -=Almazick=- Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 23-10-2003 04:03 AM