Old 20-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Anna Vaca

Default Duck weed.

Any ideas how to get rid of duck weed. My pond is at the end of reed beds,
but I got duck weed from the garden centre. I do get the odd duck at mating
time visiting the pond.
Any ideas without use of chemicals as the pond is rich in wild life. I
suspect the nitroget content may be higher, as its at the end of a reed bed.

Thanks Anna

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Bruce Geist

With a pond there may be more options. However, for an aquarium, I know if
know way other than physical removal. I have used a fish net, or I have
used an inverted python as a skimmer to suck the plants to oblivion. (A
python is a siphoning device which attaches to a sink and uses water
pressure to suck out tank water. When finished sucking out tank water, a
valve can be reversed to put water back into the tank.)

-Bruce Geist

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Anna Vaca

Hi Bruce,
I have been removing duck weed from my pond manually with a special flat net
that I made, the problem being that unless you remove all the duck weed, it
breeds like wild fly you can clear the pond today and in about a weeks time
it all come back. I have tried chemicals in the past and at great expense it
was not better than manual removal. I was wondering if a pair of grass
eating carp might solve the problem.
All the best m8.
Anna

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Trygve Lillefosse

Any ideas how to get rid of duck weed. My pond is at the end of reed beds,
but I got duck weed from the garden centre. I do get the odd duck at mating
time visiting the pond.
Any ideas without use of chemicals as the pond is rich in wild life. I
suspect the nitroget content may be higher, as its at the end of a reed bed.

If you have an owerflow, you might just add water. Get a timer, so
that it can fill up every day.

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.

Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 10:22 PM
Duck, duck, goose! Monique Reed Edible Gardening 1 23-10-2003 03:22 AM
My Duck Weed Farm BenignVanilla Ponds 1 03-07-2003 05:08 AM
Pixie Dust/Duck Weed/Azolla/Pond Scum BenignVanilla Ponds 5 27-06-2003 08:28 PM
Duck Weed Paul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:08 AM