GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant Clippings? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16309-plant-clippings.html)

Dustin 20-04-2003 06:17 AM

Plant Clippings?

Hi There,
I noticed some ppl sometimes offer clippings from their tanks.. Does anyone
have any currently available? :) or am I being to forward ? haha

If you do, I would like some :)

Thanks!

Dustin

kush 20-04-2003 06:17 AM

Plant Clippings?

Tell us what you've got for equipment (or am I being too forward?) and
aspirations.

The usual deal is you pay the shipping.

kush

Dustin 20-04-2003 06:17 AM

Plant Clippings?

Haha ok :)

125 Gal Tank
3.07 watt per gallon CF
Pressurized Co2 DIY reactor
Flourite Sustrate
2 - 350 Magnum Filters

Fertilizer - Bought some Tropical Master Grow, its not here yet, im still up
for suggestions on this one.

what do you think? :)

kush 20-04-2003 06:17 AM

Plant Clippings?

Dustin wrote ...

what do you think? :)

I think you've got nicer equipment than I have so you should be able to buy
your own plants [ :) ].

Where are you located? I'm in New Hampshire and it's too cold to trust
anything to my village post office so I'm doing pickups only for now.

Are you looking for anything in particular?

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Dustin 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

Hi Kush,

Im Located in Indiana.

HAHA nicer equipment that i paid way to much for.. I paid 649 for my tank
with stand only.. went to a store in Indianapolis today "uncle bills" and
found the same thing WITH HOOD for 325!

Thanks

The Nymans 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

Dustin,
I live in McCordsville and just visited the new Uncle Bills on East
Washington Str last night. I was drooling over the 265gallon they had in
there, but not the price (~$1400 for the tank I think).

I'm "discussing" tanks with my wife as I am very angry at being twisted to
give away my 75 gallon tank a few months ago. I now only have a 20gallon &
44 gallon (in the garage broken down).

John

Nsty N8 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

I'm "discussing" tanks with my wife as I am very angry at being twisted to
give away my 75 gallon tank a few months ago.

John

Thats "DISGUSTING"

Samala 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

I'm "discussing" tanks with my wife as I am very angry at being twisted to
give away my 75 gallon tank a few months ago.

Ah.. my motto on that is "Never give up! Never surrender!" ;) I
think perhaps femme-fishkeepers have it easier though, as far as
getting and keeping larger tanks. Not that we have the money or
anything.. just that it only takes a few eye-lash battings and cooing
over the "soo cute! so adorable!" fish for your honey to give in, roll
his eyes, laugh at your sweet-ridiculousness and agree that, "of
course, there SHOULD be a tank in every room".

There should be a dating service for fish-fanatics. Can you imagine?
"Hi, I'm Bob and I enjoy scuba diving, fine dining, saving lobsters
from certain death in grocery stores and watching my Holocanthus
ciliaris nibble on his romaine lettuce."

Course we might not be able to mix certain types of aquarists.. y'know
the plant people with the african cichlidophiles.. or the reef
aquarists with the octopus lovers.

Last note - I think all the fish people should go see "Adaptation".
You'll understand why when you find out what the character LaRoche has
obsessed over in his life ... I could have DIED laughing in the
theater.

Sarah

Mintis 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

I'm "discussing" tanks with my wife as I am very angry at being
twisted to
give away my 75 gallon tank a few months ago.

Ah.. my motto on that is "Never give up! Never surrender!" ;) I
think perhaps femme-fishkeepers have it easier though, as far as
getting and keeping larger tanks. Not that we have the money or
anything.. just that it only takes a few eye-lash battings and cooing
over the "soo cute! so adorable!" fish for your honey to give in, roll
his eyes, laugh at your sweet-ridiculousness and agree that, "of
course, there SHOULD be a tank in every room

I don't know about many of you other "femme" fishkeepers, but I certainly
don't coo about much of anything. I simply lay down the fishy law in the
house. We WILL have a huge tank in the living room! ;-)

I put up with the tube radio gear, he puts up with the fish. No
eyelash-batting about it.

~m

Dustin 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

"Hi, I'm Bob and I enjoy scuba diving, fine dining, saving lobsters
from certain death in grocery stores and watching my Holocanthus
ciliaris nibble on his romaine lettuce."

If interested Send Picture of Tank :) haha

Dustin

om...

Eric Schreiber 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

"Mintis" wrote:

I simply lay down the fishy law in the house. We WILL have a
huge tank in the living room! ;-)

I put up with the tube radio gear, he puts up with the fish. No
eyelash-batting about it.

Hmm. Memo to self - find an expensive hobby for spouse.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

The Nymans 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

Unfortunately,
A divorce would be more costly than the tank and the pleasure derived from
it.

On the upside, she's agreed our 3rd bedroom can become a fish room with "one
tank." LOL

Now, One tank to me has been translated into my twisted mind into a 125gal
tank that I will put on a homemade stand capable of holding 2 75 gallon
tanks under it. LOL

Or should I do 2 75 gallon tanks on top & 1 125 gallon tank on bottom? You
know, you just have to make the most of the room you're given.

See, she wants to make sure we can still have a bed in the room. WHy?!?! I
have no idea.

So, I'm thinking about it a bit more... it has to the 125 gallon 1st. That
way when I build the stand I simply make it REALLY big to house more tanks
later. ;O) I'll have to work on a good explanation why the stand is so
much wider than the tank though. Hmmmm... LOL

The way I see it... working the angle I want 2 75gallons under the 125
gallon, I need the stand to be at least 8 feet wide plus at least 12" for a
minimum of 3 pairs of 4x4 post/legs.

Anyone have a clue what type of setup I'd need to conjure up to constuct
such a beast? I'm thinking I'll use a slew of 2x4s for the top deck of the
stand to support the 125gallon and just use crossbars/braces along the
bottom. IT has to be done right the 1st time since by the time the 75s are
added the 125 will be in place and fully loaded. *G*

Now mymind is becoming VERY devious... in OCT the wife and kids are likely
to go to Australia for a few weeks... that'd be a great time to buy 2 75s,
right? LOL

Evil, purely evil.... just the way I like it.

Seriously any links, suggestions, etc for such a stand would be most
appreciated.

Cheers,
John

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I'm "discussing" tanks with my wife as I am very angry at being twisted

give away my 75 gallon tank a few months ago.

John

Thats "DISGUSTING"

Grounds for divorce, I'd say! ;-)

Leigh

The Nymans 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

Leigh,
Stopping short of introducing her as "My next ex-wife" I have no clue how
else to go about convincing this woman that a fish tank in a common area is
a good thing. :o( It doesn't even matter to her that the fish are mostly
native to her homeland of Australia! She'll fly a flag, but not boast about
the beautiful fish. :O(

I bought one of Amanos books and she knows exactly how awesome these tanks
can be after time, yet she still won't budge. I do, in all honesty, see
some merit to having the tank in a room I can lock. I've had to dig out
spoons, coins and other items my 2 young daughters have deemed necessary to
have a properly decorated tank. ;O) At least in the spare bedroom I can
lock the door and make sure these things don't happen when I'm sleeping and
the wife is away. LOL It's all the same to me as I will most likely end up
moving all my computer equipment, gaming stuff, etc, etc to that room and
it'll be my sanctuary to get away from all the madness. :op

If I build the stand the way I'm envisioning it, then it'll be very sturdy
and quite capable to hold all 3 tanks. The 2 75s would essentially be
sitting on the floor as only wood would be between them and the floor.
Please, keep in mind, I am limited to "one tank" which I'm conveiniently
distorting in my mind to "one stand." ;O) I have no issues concerning
floor stability as I live in a ranch style home with a solid concrete
foundation laid down less than a year ago. If the concrete slab should give
way, them I'm sueing the daylights out of someone for shoddy workmanship.

Cheers,
John

"LeighMo" wrote in message
See, she wants to make sure we can still have a bed in the room. WHy?!?!

have no idea.

Guest bedroom?

Isn't there any way you can convince her to let your put the tank

someplace
more public? The living room, family room, dining room?

A big part of the appeal of having a huge tank is the showpiece it

becomes.
You want people to see it. And you want *you* to see it -- otherwise, it

tends
to be neglected. Perhaps if you promised her it would look good, and

showed
her some photos (like Amano's)? Maybe she's afraid it will become a

smelly,
algae-ridden eyesore. There are stands that look like fine furniture, and

once
the tank is established, it's easy to keep it looking good.

My 75 gallon is in my dining room, in a place where you see it as soon as

you
enter my apartment. It's quite striking, and people always comment on it.

The
other day, a couple of guys from Time-Warner came over to check the cable,

and
both spent more time looking at my tank than looking at the cable. (They

were
especially impressed with the Amano shrimp. :-)

The way I see it... working the angle I want 2 75gallons under the 125
gallon, I need the stand to be at least 8 feet wide plus at least 12" for

minimum of 3 pairs of 4x4 post/legs.

Are you sure your floor will support this weight? The 75 gallon tanks

will
weigh 100-150 pounds each, the 125 about 200 pounds -- empty. Water

weighs 8
pounds a gallon, so filled, this setup will weight well over a ton -- no
counting the weight of the tank, hood, lights, gravel, etc.

I would really think twice about stacking tanks of this size. I don't

like
stacked tanks, anyway; it's hard to do maintenance on the lower tank, and

so it
often becomes unsightly. And when the tanks are this big, the weight

becomes a
serious problem.

Leigh

kush 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plant Clippings?

LeighMo wrote ...

No smokers, game-players, or UGFs, please."

Oh, baby, don't do me like that!