Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Rich Conley

Default Needle Valve

Is there anyone who doesnt use a needle valve for CO2 injection. I
wanted to know if its possible to just use a standard aquarium gang
valve to regulate the CO2 from a DIY yeast bottle....?

Rich

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

You don't need a needle valve with a DIY CO2 setup. Usually the amount
of
CO2 produced isn't enough anyway so there's no reason to control it. If
you still
want to control it, you can use a gang valve but be sure to bleed off
the excess
otherwise there will be too much pressure built up in the bottle.
However, since the amount of CO2 produced in a DIY setup fluctuates, the
amount
still won't be constant and you'll be tweaking it all the time.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:53:06 -0500, Rich Conley
wrote:

Is there anyone who doesnt use a needle valve for CO2 injection. I
wanted to know if its possible to just use a standard aquarium gang
valve to regulate the CO2 from a DIY yeast bottle....?

Needle valves are used with compress-gas CO2 systems.

Do NOT!!!!!! attempt to use any type of valve to restrict the flow on
a YEAST system. The plastic and/or glass container the yeast
mixture is in can easily explode.

If you need to reduce the amount of CO2 from a yeast system, the best
method is to use a powerhead to create some surface aeration, which
will release some of the CO2 gas.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Iain Miller

"Rich Conley" wrote in message
Is there anyone who doesnt use a needle valve for CO2 injection. I
wanted to know if its possible to just use a standard aquarium gang
valve to regulate the CO2 from a DIY yeast bottle....?

As far as I know you don't regulate the output from a DIY bottle - you could
have a potential bomb on your hands if you tried. Needle valves are for
pressurised systems only. Also I suspect a std airline valve would leak CO2
like a sieve - as does silicone Airline tubing (!)

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM

Rich Conley wrote in message ...
Is there anyone who doesnt use a needle valve for CO2 injection. I
wanted to know if its possible to just use a standard aquarium gang
valve to regulate the CO2 from a DIY yeast bottle....?

Rich

Don't do this. You cannot regulate the DIY flow by constricting the
flow, it'll blow off the cap etc. Big mess.

Try working on making a diffuser that waste CO2 gas once the diffuser
chamber fills up to a certain set level.
In gravel vac diffuser set ups all you do is drill a small 3/16" hole
about 4 inches down.
When the camber fills up to that level, no more gas will enter and the
diffuser will "waste" the Gas as it Burps out the hole.

If you turn your CO2 off at night, simply add the plug from the power
head running this gravel vac tube into the lighting timer.

The DIY will still run but will not diffuse and has the burp hole to
release excess gas.

Regards,
Tom Barr original invertor of the
burp......ahh...tube/hole that is

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:00:23 -0000, "Iain Miller"
wrote:
pressurised systems only. Also I suspect a std airline valve would leak CO2
like a sieve - as does silicone Airline tubing (!)

Like a sieve is a bit excessive I think. In fact, I doubt anyone
could actually measure the CO2 loss thru "non CO2" airline tubing.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dustin

A few years Ago I did that with a DIY co2 - It was kinda risky and I think
It almost blew up once... You ahve to be careful and watch it but it can be
done

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM

) wrote:
Tom Barr original invertor of the
burp......ahh...tube/hole that is

Does that mean I need to send you royalties when I burp?
Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Not under federal patent law, but if you make a Regal burp, that is
royality enough for me.
I'd rather burp than sue:-) Easier on the digestion.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Trygve Lillefosse

Is there anyone who doesnt use a needle valve for CO2 injection. I
wanted to know if its possible to just use a standard aquarium gang
valve to regulate the CO2 from a DIY yeast bottle....?

Have been thinking about the same. And think I have found a solution.

I am doing a "project" on it at the moment, you could take a look at
my ide for making a stable pressure (thus making it possible to use a
needle valve) in a DIY co2-system.

The problems so far has been the glue. and the airline connections.

Will need some new suplies, (and thinking-time:-)) but recon it will
be ready within a couple of weeks.

Here is a picture of the "pressure tank".

http://www.lillefosse.org/images/trykktank.jpg

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.
Remove nospam to mail me.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Marlin

Here is a picture of the "pressure tank".

http://www.lillefosse.org/images/trykktank.jpg

What is the purpose of the syringe in the bottle? Do you measure pressure
with it?

Marlin

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Trygve Lillefosse

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:59:14 -0500, "Marlin" wrote:
Here is a picture of the "pressure tank".
http://www.lillefosse.org/images/trykktank.jpg

What is the purpose of the syringe in the bottle? Do you measure pressure
with it?

If you look closely, there is a blue rubber-band.(Not mounted
properly.)

The Idea is that the pressure will make the piston go outwards, until
it reaches a hole witch will take away some pressure. When the
pressure have become a bit lower, the rubber-band will make it go
back, thus resealing the tank.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Marlin

Smart. Thanks.

Marlin

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Mentaloid

Well yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. Causes explosions if left too long.
For those of you who are looking for needle valves and seeing prices of $20
your being ripped off. I get needle valves for $6CA apeice, rated for 50 PSI
at a local industrial parts supplier. Do some shopping!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Trygve Lillefosse

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:17:46 -0500, "Marlin" wrote:
Smart. Thanks.

But beware. I've not tested it properly yet.

Thinking of letting it run in the bathroom for å couple of weeks, to
see that it's working as intended before using it with my tank.

Forgot to tell that I lubricated the piston with a litle vaseline,
since it would not move freely enough without. Also the piston should
never be comletely "closed" as there it will take slightly more force
to move it.

Anyway. Will probarbly post everything at the net when I've
completed/failed the project.