Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default new leaves on amazon sword stay reddish brown?

Does anyone know why the new leaves on my amazon sword are staying a reddish
brown color? The older ones that existed when I bought the plant are big
broad green leaves (so I know it's supposed to be green ). Now even some
of the older green leaves are becoming transparent and there's some holes in
them. I've heard maybe low nitrates?..and that a person can somehow add KNO3
to the water to get levels up. How is this done?

(48gal. tank, no C02, some "Terralit" substrate amoung plants, 2X 4 foot
PowerGlo lights, no other fertilizers)

THANX!!
Dave.

(I've posted this before but didn't get as much help as I needed at the
time)

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Sergey Politaev

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
Does anyone know why the new leaves on my amazon sword are staying a

reddish
brown color?........

(I've posted this before but didn't get as much help as I needed at the
time)

You'd get much more if try to define a specie of your sword.
A lot of them have an ability to develope a reddish leaf tissue under
certain conditions, usually they're definite light spectrum, adequate
intensity and lower temperature.
Anyway, the lack of nitrates is the last thing I would explore in similar
situation.
--
~SP~
"A lie gets halfway around the world

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

The dimensions of my tank are 48"WIDE X 18"HIGH X 12"DEEP. I'm going to get
a test kit for nitrate levels. Otherwise the red leaves are doing pretty
good

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Does anyone know why the new leaves on my amazon sword are staying a

reddish
brown color? The older ones that existed when I bought the plant are big
broad green leaves (so I know it's supposed to be green ). Now even

some
of the older green leaves are becoming transparent and there's some holes

in
them.

Amazon sword plants are grown emersed -- with their leaves above the

water. So
when you buy them and take them home, the existing leaves will die off.

The
new, submersed leaves that grow in may look quite different from emersed

leaves
the plant came with.

It's normal for new leaves to be reddish, and for some swordplants, it's

normal
for the leaves to stay reddish. So first, be sure you have a deficiency,
before you start dosing.

Also, in your previous post, you said this:

No, when I bought the plants from the store they had giant tear-drop

shaped
green leaves. The plant grows tall stems before breaking out into these
giant leaves. Sorry I don't know what exact type of Amazon it would be,

I'm
pretty new to all this.

These sound like they might be floating leaves. Many aquatic plants

produce
leaves that are meant to float on the surface, on long stems. Such leaves
should be trimmed off. They will shade out of the tank. Cutting them off

will
encourage the plant to produce underwater leaves, which is what you want

for a
planted aquarium.

I've heard maybe low nitrates?..and that a person can somehow add KNO3
to the water to get levels up. How is this done?

There's info on Chuck's page:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nitrate.htm

But you should get a nitrate test kit and see how much nitrate you have

now,
before you add any.

(48gal. tank, no C02, some "Terralit" substrate amoung plants, 2X 4 foot
PowerGlo lights, no other fertilizers)

What are the dimensions of your tank? If I understand your setup, you

have 80
watts of light over 48 gallons of water. That's less than 2 wpg, and IME,
you're not likely to have nitrate deficiencies with that little light.

(Unless
you don't have many fish in your tank.)

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

You know what LeighMo? I think I have solved the problem!!

I have done some research on the internet and have foud that a "Red Rubin
Sword" plant exists and by all the various pictures I've seen..it looks
exactly like mine! The scientific name is the Echinodorus rubin. The leaves
are usually slightly pale green with dominant red colors and yellowish
veins. Check it out! http://www.trilbytropicals.com/REDRUBINSWORDLG.htm
or
http://www.easyfishkeeping.com/Tropica/74b.htm

I think my plant is doing just fine then! Thanx for all your help, let me
know your ideas on this.

Dave.