Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
jduprie

Default Potting plants in tanks with UGF?

Hi folks,
I'm getting ready to set up a new 125, and I'm thinking about doing some
live plants this time. I figured I'd put the plants (at least the
rootingones) into pots in the gravel. I figured this would help prevent
problems with the undergravel filter, and make it easier to fertilize, less
fluorite, etc.....

has anone tried this? how were your results?

I'm planning a fairly simple (low tech) approach. I plan to put some good
grow-lites (full spectrum) in the existing hood, and hoping to acoid any
really complex lighting. About 20 years ago, I had decent success with
planted tanks (no CO2, no fancy lights, basic filtration, and a good
community of "tropical fish". I'm pretty much planing to go down the same
road..... Any comments on low-tech panted tanks?

thansk
-JD

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
kush

I grow plants in clay pots in (relatively) low-tech tanks. I use UGF's with
CO2 injected powerheads in my smaller tanks (20 gallons and under).
Anything much bigger, I think, will benefit from the addition of a canister
filter.

I started using clay pots as a design element. I only realized their
benefit later when trying to grow more demanding root-feeders. I usually
knock the bottom of them, pack them with peat moss, sand, and root tabs, and
half-bury them in the gravel.

IMO, stem plants grow better in a UGF system, anyway, so there is no benefit
from potting them. However plants like Echindorus, Cryptocoryne, etc., can
be really spectacular grown in clay pots.

Leigh's right about the lighting. You're going to have to invest in some
equipment to get enough light down to the bottom. Or you could place your
pots on top of your gravel bed, which would raise them up a few inches, and
plant sags, anubias, ferns, etc., on the bottom. There may be some
competition issues you would need to think about.

kush

.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
jduprie

great! thanks.. You're right - the tank I did back "in the day" were small -
I think the biggest was a 30 or so. I had figured I'd have to go with low
light plants, and I was aware of the difference in height, I just didn't
know if the height of the 125 and the "generic" grow light combination would
work. guess I'll give it a try and see....

thanks again
--JD

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I'm planning a fairly simple (low tech) approach. I plan to put some good
grow-lites (full spectrum) in the existing hood, and hoping to acoid any
really complex lighting. About 20 years ago, I had decent success with
planted tanks (no CO2, no fancy lights, basic filtration, and a good
community of "tropical fish". I'm pretty much planing to go down the same
road..... Any comments on low-tech panted tanks?

How big were your planted tanks 20 years ago?

I would guess they weren't 125 gallons. A 125 is deep, almost 2'. It's
unlikely the standard lighting will be enough to grow anything except

low-light
plants.

OTOH, if you stick with low-light plants, you won't have to worry about

potting
them. Low-light plants like java fern and anubias are perfectly fine tied

rock or driftwood.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
jduprie

thanks for the reply... What types of competition problems might I run into?
assuming that I stick with low light plants, potted, and set a bit above the
bottom of the tank (my normal set up is UGF, 2" of gravel, and landscaping)
I figure I'll put the plants on some of hte high points.......

Thanks

-_JD

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
kush

jduprie wrote ...

What types of competition problems might I run into?
assuming that I stick with low light plants...

I was concerned with your having fast-growing plants in pots nearer the
lights and slower growing plants in the understory. The faster growing
plants would then out-compete the low-light plants for available nutrients.
But it sounds like you're all set.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
linda mar

How big of a clay pot did you use? don't plants get too rootbound in a clay
pot? (I know a lot about land-container gardening, but nothing about potted
aquarium plants)..

linda

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
kush

linda mar wrote...
How big of a clay pot did you use? don't plants get too rootbound in a

clay pot?

I use all different sizes, depending on the tank, depending on the plant.
Yes, the plants can get rootbound but, by that time, I should have taken
them up and separated them anyway. I just pulled apart a bunch of Sag.
subulata that was growing in a 10" pot. I ended up with enough to plant out
about two square feet (or sell to my LFS).

Usually I knock the bottom out of the pot anyway, so it's more like a
containment ring. In a UGF system water circulates throughout the gravel
which makes it difficult to use root tabs and such. The nice thing about
the pots, even without bottoms in them, is that they provide areas where the
flow is restricted and you can use special fertilizers and planting media.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
linda mar

Hi

you have given me some interesting insight. thank you! (I won't be able to
put in a 10inch pot, but at least I get the idea of what you've done, I
think...)

linda

linda mar wrote...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM

Howdy, im new here,
I would like to know where to get some insight into UGF systems........
Im presently messing with hydroponics with local folk calling names like,
"Plant murderer"
mebby another way is bettter suited to trying things to grow from seed in
the middle of one of the worst NY winters in our history..
Thanks
Bill

"linda mar" wrote in message
Hi

you have given me some interesting insight. thank you! (I won't be able

put in a 10inch pot, but at least I get the idea of what you've done, I
think...)

linda

linda mar wrote...