GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Canopy Hinge? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16338-canopy-hinge.html)

Reg Sherwood 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Canopy Hinge?

Hi,

I had some glass cut to go over my new aquarium. I am in the process of
completing a DIY canopy. What I am wondering is, where can on buy one of
those flexible hinges you see on tanks. The one when the each side of the
glass slips into the strip. So, it acts as a hinge for the system?

Thanks

Reg

Dave Millman 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Canopy Hinge?

Reg Sherwood wrote:

Hi,

I had some glass cut to go over my new aquarium. I am in the process of
completing a DIY canopy. What I am wondering is, where can on buy one of
those flexible hinges you see on tanks. The one when the each side of the
glass slips into the strip. So, it acts as a hinge for the system?

All Glass uses them and sells them. when mine wore out a few months back, I
removed the shreds and noticed my tank was getting 10% more light. The hinge
was unfortunately directly in the path of one row of bulbs. So I never
replaced them. Evaporation is up a bit, and the hinged lid now just rests in
place, but I prefer the higher light level.

Aqua 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Canopy Hinge?

Get a "Goop MARINE" Adhesive.
Leave 1/2" space from the side (that need to be attached) put a duct tape
(both glasses).
In a Flat surface keep both the Glass pieces together (leave 2mm in
between).
Paste adhesive sufficiently.
Use a sharp knife to remove duct tape if necessary.

I am using this for the past 6 months.

--
Thank You

Dominic