Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default T8 lighting that much brighter then T12??

I've been doing some research and a lot of people are saying that the watts
per gallon (wpg) rules for adequate lighting are becoming useless because of
the newer T-8 slim flourescents compared to the older T-12s.

In fact, one person said that with a light meter they found out that 4 T-8
bulbs put out nearly twice the light of 4 T-12 bulbs! Some people are saying
that the quality of light is better: they can produce a broader spectrum of
light.

SO! Do I actually have good enough lighting with 2wpg as T-8 bulbs?? I
currently have 1 LifeGlo 15W and 1 PowerGlo 15W for my 15 gal. (most people
say that 3wpg is more the idea lighting).

And the bonus, T8 is more efficient (run at less current but higher voltage
then the T12), puts out less heat, degrades light intensity slowly over time
and to a lesser extent.

Any opinions?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

SO! Do I actually have good enough lighting with 2wpg as T-8 bulbs?? I
currently have 1 LifeGlo 15W and 1 PowerGlo 15W for my 15 gal. (most people
say that 3wpg is more the idea lighting).

Any opinions?

I'd like to read an idiot's guide to tank lighting. Something that
starts with about the technology level of, say, a Zippo lighter, and
works up to the Good Stuff.

Every time I try to figure it out I get thrashed by unfamiliar
terminology, and questions similar to what you're asking.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
DDD

A light meter is really the only way to know what were dealing with here.
It's on my wish list.I really doubt T8's are twice as bright.

In reef tanks 150 watts double ended HQI bulbs were said to be brighter than
175 watt and even 250 watt mogul bulbs. This was proven not the case.

I do agree 3 watts per gallon is ideal with power compacts atleast. It has
worked well for me.

Drew

Brighter pond report Gary Woods Ponds 6 06-05-2005 12:58 AM
How much lighting is too much? Evergreen Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 27-07-2003 03:42 PM
lighting... how much is too much? Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Overdriving T12 40s Djay Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
lighting... how much is too much? redled Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-02-2003 05:13 AM