Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Algae removal- SAEs, otos, or plecos?

tose (LeighMo) wrote:

Is that the same as the "Pomacea Bridges" Mystery Snails?

The scientific name is Pomacea bridgesii.

Hm. Wonder how I screwed that up. Thanks, corrected on my web page.

I bet they were not real P. bridgesii. Did you get them at Petco?

PetSmart, so no doubt the same critique applies.

To make sure you are getting real bridgesii, see the
www.applesnail.net.
You have to look at the shape of the shell.

Well, I've just spent about 30 minutes studying the identification
guides there and comparing them to my snails. It sure looks like I've
got bridgesii. It's got the right shell shape, the door, the labial
tentacles. I've not seen the snorkel in use, but there is definitely a
structure where it should be. None of mine have laid eggs, so I can't
use that criteria.

Maybe Allen is on the money with the rotting stems theory.

--
www.ericschreiber.com