Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Anton Valouev

Default Chelated Iron in PMDD

I've bought today can of chelated iron EDTA 13.2 % of iron in a powder.
I was wondering how much of it I should use in the PMDD recepie. All the
recepies I've seen so far add the iron in the form of iron trace elements
liquid, not a powder.

So, I would appreciate if someone could advise me on the amount of chelated
iron relative to other components that I should use in PMDD.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Tasslehoff

I have a similar 13% iron powder and add 1 tsp along with the 1 tsp powdered
trace mix (only has 2.3% Fe) so adding tsp of each I get C & S PMDD with
added calcium into an old 250 ml flourish iron bottle and dose 4 ml daily
for a 40G medium planted/light tank. So if you're only adding iron and no
trace then 1.3 tsp per 250ml or thereabouts should suffice. You will
probably also want to get a potassium supplement depending on growth speed
expectations and a trace mix or more frequent water changes if no trace mix
is added. An iron test kit for the first few weeks to monitor dosage
requirements for YOUR tank would also be recommended.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Tasslehoff

You may want to use reasonably hot water to dissolve the powder and then
keep it in the fridge as my first attempt resulted in adding 50ml per day
with most of the powder ending up in the bottom of the bottle after the 5th
day. Doh.

u...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Anton Valouev

You will
probably also want to get a potassium supplement

Just got one too. This local Hydroponics store is very good. 3 pounds of
Potassium sulfate K2so4 powder was only $8.

I'm thinking of making my own pmdd according to well known recepie
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html

Cheers

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Cannibul

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 01:29:14 -0800, "Anton Valouev"
wrote:

You will
probably also want to get a potassium supplement

Just got one too. This local Hydroponics store is very good. 3 pounds of
Potassium sulfate K2so4 powder was only $8.

I'm thinking of making my own pmdd according to well known recepie
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html

Cheers

Bah. Why do people think they have found the holy grail when they
find the PMDD formula? Over at www.aquabotanic.com they have had a
big discussion about this.