Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Brian Dugas

Default Muriate of Potash

I bought some Muriate of Potash as a Potassium source. I've read before
that this is a usable source of Potassium. All I need to know now is how to
dose it. Here's some info from the back of the bag:

0-0-60
Guaranteed Analysis
Soluble Potash (K20)------- 60%
Derived from Muriate of Potash.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Jody

This is potassium chloride (KCl). It's hard to overdose potassium, but I
think KCl has twice as much K as K2SO4 by volume, so adjust accordingly.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Brian Dugas

That's weird. You say it's KCl, but the bag says K2O. I know you're right,
b/c I have this print out of a post I saved from long ago that said KCl is
sold as Muriate of Potash. I just wonder why the bag i bought doesn't just
say KCl. It would make life a lot easier. Thanks Jody.

Brian

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
DDD

The notation is strange.

I believe this is taken from agriculture where interest is only in the NPK
ratios. These ratios were based on the theoretical fully oxidized state of
the macronutrient. It is a bit cumbersome to most of us though.

Drew

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Chuck Gadd

"Brian Dugas" wrote in message
That's weird. You say it's KCl, but the bag says K2O. I know you're right,
b/c I have this print out of a post I saved from long ago that said KCl is
sold as Muriate of Potash. I just wonder why the bag i bought doesn't just
say KCl. It would make life a lot easier. Thanks Jody.

They always list the amount of the nutrient in it's oxidized form.
It's some government regulation that forces them to list the nutrients
that way.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Potash IS THIS OK? Heather Ponds 6 10-07-2003 06:30 PM
Potash Hal Ponds 5 08-07-2003 04:32 AM
AlgaeFix and Muriate of Potash Justin Ponds 5 04-07-2003 06:43 AM
Muriate of Potash Joan Pomatto Ponds 29 06-06-2003 05:20 AM
THE OLD "POTASH" QUESTION MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 1 27-05-2003 03:08 PM