GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   planted aquarium/natural aquarium (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16349-planted-aquarium-natural-aquarium.html)

red406 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

planted aquarium/natural aquarium

how best do you answer someone who ask the following:

1. why they should get into a planted aquarium/natural aquarium thing?

2. what are the benefits? aesthetics? stress reliever? add on...

thank you for your time and have a nice day!

wigwack 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

planted aquarium/natural aquarium

As a newbie myself, I can only answer superficially, but:

Question 1:
Nobody should get into anything unless they really want to take on the
responsibility of countless lives, lots of work and lots of money. If they
should get into it, it should be because they have a passion for it, and
patience enough to learn all about what they're doing.

Question 2:
(a) to me it's really beautiful to have a piece of nature in your living
room, and I'm not talking about little bubbling scuba divers with goldfish
swimming around them, I mean a real biotope aquarium ideally, or at least
the most natural as you can get.
(b) surely the fish that nature has evolved to be suited for, are most happy
in a natural environment

m...

kush 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

planted aquarium/natural aquarium

Stress relief, you say? I am seldom so tense as when I've spent an hour
cleaning and repacking an expensive filtration unit which simply fails to
restart for no discernible reason when I plug it back in, or when my botias
have dug up a freshly-planted lawn of lileaosis.

m...

Aqua 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

planted aquarium/natural aquarium

1. why they should get into a planted aquarium/natural aquarium thing?

Stress Management.

2. what are the benefits? aesthetics? stress reliever? add on...

Stress Management
(Also my two year old loves a Pomacea bridgesii snail)

Dave 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

planted aquarium/natural aquarium

Personally I think fish are happier and exhibit more interesting behavior
in a planted tank. I noticed this after moving several fish from an
unplanted to a planted tank.

In addition, plants absorb ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to varying
degrees.

(red406) empowered us with this mighty blow against
the Patriarchy:

Dave Millman 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

red406 wrote:

how best do you answer someone who ask the following:

1. why they should get into a planted aquarium/natural aquarium thing?

If they don't think planted tanks are beautiful and exciting, they shouldn't
try it.

aidanndella 23-04-2011 03:26 PM

This has been my dream to have a planted aquarium at home. Whenever I go to the aquarium exhibition is confused I used to grow large aquascaped aquarium.

BigIan 26-04-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red406 (Post 91822)
how best do you answer someone who ask the following:

1. why they should get into a planted aquarium/natural aquarium thing?

Simply do it if it interests you. Its a massive investement in time and money, if you just think it looks nice. there is alot to research and alot of trial and error to go through before you get really beautifull looking tanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by red406 (Post 91822)
2. what are the benefits? aesthetics? stress reliever? add on...

As for benifits? a tank is generally a LARGE piece of furniture in your house, that costs alot of money and needs looking after, so you may aswell make it look like a beautifull living picture that is constantly changing and evolving.
Personally i enjoy the learning curve assosiated with all this i`ve been doing it for 6-7 years now and i still enjoy learning and trying new things.and thats where a big part of my enjoyment of a planted tank comes from.

As for stress relief its better for a fishes stress levels as they are more hiding places and such like in a planted tank, however i find that running a planted tank is quite stressfull, either things are going too well and the plants are growing in ways you never wanted them too and your having to prune every day or you have massive ammounts of alage to deal with, finding that tiny pivot point between is very hard but when you do find it, its awesome.

rickdamons 04-05-2011 06:43 PM

Natural Aquarium began as an ordinary work of art aquarium hobby building upgrades. This is an aquarium, originally designed for the fancy fish and real plants. The aquarium in general, the focus of the hobby is fish, the aquarium focuses on the design of natural habitats and water tanks.