Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
LM

Default snail-cides?

Hi,

I was reading the FAQ on how to kill snail eggs and other nasties when you
first buy a plant, and it lists potassium permanganate as a good, quick
sterilizer.

where can I get it in the US (specifically, California, Bay Area)? I saw
snail killer in one of the on-line catalog thing, but it states it will not
ship to CA (must be one of those environmental thing).

I suppose I can try Alum too.. (are there any other common names for these
chemicals?) but where to buy?

are there other home remedies that are just as effective and not harm
plants? (I want to buy an anacharis at a store, but all the LFS seems to
have snails in them, so... and I don't want one in my tank..)

linda
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave Painter

LM wrote in message

are there other home remedies that are just as effective and not harm
plants? (I want to buy an anacharis at a store, but all the LFS seems to
have snails in them, so... and I don't want one in my tank..)

5% bleach solution is supposed to work.
Ordinary household bleach (unscented) from the hardware store.

Dip for a couple of minutes

Dave

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
LM

ok! thank you!

linda

----------

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Jason

Actually, dipping anacharis and other hardy type plants in a salt water
solution (at least 26% salinity) will kill any snails/eggs etc... I do this
quite a bit and it works great for me...

(It is also safer than bleach, which also works too...)

-Jason

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Charles

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:43:36 -0800, "LM" wrote:

Hi,

I was reading the FAQ on how to kill snail eggs and other nasties when you
first buy a plant, and it lists potassium permanganate as a good, quick
sterilizer.

where can I get it in the US (specifically, California, Bay Area)? I saw
snail killer in one of the on-line catalog thing, but it states it will not
ship to CA (must be one of those environmental thing).

I suppose I can try Alum too.. (are there any other common names for these
chemicals?) but where to buy?

are there other home remedies that are just as effective and not harm
plants? (I want to buy an anacharis at a store, but all the LFS seems to
have snails in them, so... and I don't want one in my tank..)

linda

These folks sell it

http://www.tri-esssciences.com/

They have a mail order minimum, I go there in person so that has not
been a problem for me.

Look in your local yellow pages for a science supply near you.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Aquatic-store.com

Sears sells it by thier water filters and humidifiers

Marcus

Http://www.Aquatic-store.com