Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default how many SAEs to buy?

I was wondering how many SAEs to buy for my 48 gal and 15 gal tank.

In my 48 gallon I have 1 pleco, 2 bronze cats, 5 otos, 9 australian
rainbows, 3 butterfly goodieds.

In my 15 gallon I have 3 otos, 2 bronze cats and one beta.

Especially in my 15 gallon I need to get rid of some hair type algae.

Thanx

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Aqua

I was wondering how many SAEs to buy for my 48 gal and 15 gal tank.

6 and 2

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Allen Smith

I'd disagree with the above poster and say for your 48 I'd get 3 SAEs
so they have a group. Don't expect them to do much algae eating, just
to keep the BBA in check. For your 15g I would not get any SAEs as
they are large fish unless you have a serious BBA algae problem and
then you can put some in there until the problem is cleared up. I'd
try some more ottos, they are much happier in large groups. Try 6 more
ottos in the 15 gallon and 1 brigessi snail. For the 48g try 3-4
brigessi snails in addition to the SAEs.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Prakash

Dave,
I've got 4 SAE (they are the true Crossocheilus Siamensis and quite small
now) in my 50 gallon tank. They do not seem to eat any of the algae strands
I have (I have to pull these out by hand when I clean the tank - so they
probably will be of no use in getting rid of your hair algae (unless there
is something unique about the SAE I've got).

If you have any better luck pl tell me what you do different because I'm
tired of the hair algae.
Cheers,
Prakash.
. ..

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave

Pull them out by hand ... do you mean thread algae instead of hair algae?
If so, Jordanella floridae (flagfish) will eat thread algae.

"Prakash" empowered us with this
mighty blow against the Patriarchy:

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Allen Smith

As an experiment I tried last month I let hair algae grow so that it
had filled around 30% of the tank. The only thing I saw that was
eating it were MTS, which were doing so at so slow of a rate that they
could not keep it in check. I don't think they prefered to eat it,
they just ate it because it was there. The other fish would
occassionly take a nibble, but they would eat it with relish. The
SAE's ignored the hair algae. The Ottos ignored the hair algae.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Blarneytoad

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:37:55 +0000 (UTC), "Prakash"
wrote:

[...]

How big are they? If they are small get all you can get. I have a 55
heavily planted tank and started out with 7 little ones and now have 2
big ones.No idea what happened to the rest but they were very
small-under 2 inches.They might have jumped out behind the tank.