Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Tedd

Default newbie needs to learn about plants

i have two tanks that are about to finish their nitrogen cycles, now i have
high nitrates. i have a few plants (two types) but i have no idea what they
are, i had got them because 1.) i heard they would help with the cycling and
2.) to give the fish something to nibble on.

my tap source water is 0 ppm nitrate.

15 gal (US):
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite .25 ppm
nitrate 80-160 ppm
pH 7.4
temp 78 (F)
population;
1 med angelfish
1 neon dwarf gourami
1 sunset platy
3 african dwarf frogs

20 gal (US):
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite .25 ppm
nitrate 40 ppm
pH 7.4
temp 80 (F)
population;
3 green tiger barbs
1 fire sunset platy
2 african dwarf frogs

the plants i have in there now *seem* to be doing fine, (they are growing)
one is a floating viney type plant with a multitude of blade type leaves
that come directly off the stem, each plant is a single stem that has grown
to about 12-14 inches (36-40 cm) with 3 stems floating in each tank. the
other plant is set into my substrate of the 15 gal. and has multiple stems
with small 1/4 inch (1 cm) broad leaves. this one seems to have *roots*
growing out at places where the stems diverge. height is apx 6 inches (15
cm).

what is the best "beginners" plants to have and where should i read up for
more information, and what is the best way to control nitrogen levels.

TIA,
tedd.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave

"Tedd" empowered us with this mighty blow against the
Patriarchy:

i have two tanks that are about to finish their nitrogen cycles, now i
have high nitrates. i have a few plants (two types) but i have no idea
what they are, i had got them because 1.) i heard they would help with
the cycling and 2.) to give the fish something to nibble on.

Just be warned that some LFSes will sell you terrestrial plants which may
look good for a while but will not last long under water.

Plants do consume some nitrogen-cycle products, but you should verify that
your ammonia and nitrites should cycle down to zero before adding fish.

nitrite .25 ppm
nitrate 80-160 ppm

Your nitrite level is a bigger problem than your nitrate level. Nitrites
(and ammonia) should be zero, otherwise your tank hasn't finished cycling
yet.

20 gal (US):
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite .25 ppm
nitrate 40 ppm

Ditto.

the plants i have in there now *seem* to be doing fine, (they are
growing) one is a floating viney type plant with a multitude of blade
type leaves that come directly off the stem, each plant is a single
stem that has grown to about 12-14 inches (36-40 cm) with 3 stems
floating in each tank.

Possibly hygrophilia polysperma, which is an excellent plant for a new tank
as it's a fast grower.

http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html

http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-list.html

and what is the best way to control nitrogen
levels.

Once your tank has cycled, ammonia and nitrites will be processed into
nitrates by your biofilter, unless you overload your tank:

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Plants will consume some nitrates but typically nitrates are removed via
water changes, which you should be doing anyway. It's ideal to keep
nitrates below 40ppm, though most fish will tolerate higher levels.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Tedd

"Dave" wrote in message

Plants do consume some nitrogen-cycle products, but you should verify that
your ammonia and nitrites should cycle down to zero before adding fish.

i didnt do the fishless cycle, i started out with too many fish and not
enough knowledge. (but i have gotten better)

nitrite .25 ppm
nitrate 80-160 ppm

Your nitrite level is a bigger problem than your nitrate level. Nitrites
(and ammonia) should be zero, otherwise your tank hasn't finished cycling
yet.

snip
i have two tanks that are about to finish their nitrogen cycles,

compaired to the 5.0+ ppm the tanks were at, the .25 ppm is a much better
ratio and is continuing on a downward trend, (though not as good as 0 ppm
granted) and indicates the cycle is nearing completion.

i'll not be adding any new fish for a few weeks still,

thanks for the links and the rapid response Dave,

tedd.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave

"Tedd" empowered us with this mighty blow against the
Patriarchy:

i have two tanks that are about to finish their nitrogen cycles,

Oops, sorry, I didn't see that in your original message.

Carry on! ;-)
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
chet

OK, maybe I just had one great experience and only know one vendor that has
surpassed my expectations as the result of my limited experience. I have no
ties with this company other than I made a single purchase.

Talk to Phyl. (http://www.trueaquariumplants.com). Call her, talk to her,
tell her what fish you have and what you are looking for.

I wanted to plant a goldfish tank (why I would want to undertake such a
Sisyphean task I am still grappling with). She knows her plants, fish, and
is REALLY generous with her definition of "bunch". I am convinced that I
saved a chunk of cash in the long run. Here is a picture of my 29G tank days
after introducing the plants she sent me as part of a $35US "goldfish
package". The plants were not yet settled in and rooting, but so far, all is
working as advertised.

http://home.surewest.net/chet/tank2.jpg

I heartily recommend making the call.

chet

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Tedd" wrote:

i started out with too many fish and not enough knowledge.

A show of hands of people here who did the exact same thing would
probably set off a hurricane. Welcome!

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Eric Schreiber

"chet" chet-at-surewestDOTnet wrote:

Here is a picture of my 29G tank
The plants were not yet settled in and rooting, but so far,
all is working as advertised.
http://home.surewest.net/chet/tank2.jpg

How is your anacharis doing over time? Mine started out lush and full
looking like yours, and though it grows like mad long-wise, it's
getting pretty spindly looking, with comparatively low leaf density.

Maybe it's not really growing, but just stretching

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
chet

It is too early to tell for any of the plants. They all arrived healthy,
but the bunches are only a week or so old and I simply may not have had
enough time to completely destroy them yet. They is no obvious brown
devastation so I take that as a good sign. I note that after two hours of
55W light, and Fluorite substrate, bubbles start to appear on the swords. I
think that is what some have referred to as "pearling", and that this is a
positive indicator?

I don't even qualify as a novice in planted tanks. However, I have been
avidly lurking on this list. Even though keeping a spartan tank for my
daughter's goldfish was really easy, I couldn't take it and wanted it to
look a little more "natural". I would have probably chosen another species
of fish if it were my choice.

BTW, I think that the anacharis was added to the mix to distract the
goldfish from grazing on the other plants. From what I have come to
understand, Anacharis is generally regarded by goldfish as a tasty "salad
bar". My daughter's juvenile goldfish do not appear to have discovered this
little treat.....yet.

I have a quick hack URL with the specific plants in my 29G goldfish
aquarium. http://home.surewest.net/chet/aquariumplants.htm. This picture was
taken two days after receiving the plants via FedEx. I'm missing some bits
and would appreciate any additional information beyond what I have been able
to find so far.

All of the pictures at this URL, and most of the side information, was
pulled directly from http://www.trueaquariumplants.com.
They were great to work with and I most heartily recommend them.

I guess you could call me a new fan.

chet

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Eric Schreiber

"chet" chet-at-surewestDOTnet wrote:

I think that is what some have referred to as "pearling", and that
this is a positive indicator?

So I've read. Never yet seen it for myself, unfortunately. I'm hoping
that my current efforts at bringing down the pH (using peat granules)
coupled with doubling my DIY CO2 input (extra pop bottle) will help
improve that situation.

I don't even qualify as a novice in planted tanks. However, I have been
avidly lurking on this list.

Pretty much the same spot I'm in then. Reading everything, and
scrambling to apply what I'm learning.

I have a quick hack URL with the specific plants in my 29G goldfish
aquarium. http://home.surewest.net/chet/aquariumplants.htm.

Again similar to what I'm doing. As I become interested in various
species (just fish, so far) I've been collecting information about
them and adding them to my site. Not that I'm expecting to be a big
online fish information resource, but webbing the information
encourages me to be consistent, at least. I'm of German descent. I
like consistency.

This picture was taken two days after receiving the plants via FedEx.

I wish I had taken pictures. The plants I recently bought online were
gorgeous, but arrived with ice in the box (too long on a FedEx dock).
Two of them (a Red Wendtii Crypt and an Anubias Barteri) have
purchased farmland. I've left the potted portions in the tank in the
hope that the roots weren't killed and that the plants may yet
recover.

I guess you could call me a new fan.

Nice to have another non-expert around

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Tedd

"chet" chet-at-surewestDOTnet wrote in message

Here is a picture of my 29G tank days
after introducing the plants she sent me as part of a $35US "goldfish
package". The plants were not yet settled in and rooting, but so far, all

is
working as advertised.

http://home.surewest.net/chet/tank2.jpg

WoW chet! even with the plastic plants i have, mine looks like a desert
compared to yours! nicely done!

tedd.