GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   how deep to make flourite bed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16371-how-deep-make-flourite-bed.html)

Dave M. Picklyk 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

how deep to make flourite bed?

I will be getting some flourite next month for my aquarium. The 7kg bag of
flourite says it covers a typical 10 gal with 2 inches. I have a 15 gal,
I'll need 2 bags then. How deep do you think I should make the bed?

THANX!

Dave Millman 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

I will be getting some flourite next month for my aquarium. The 7kg bag of
flourite says it covers a typical 10 gal with 2 inches. I have a 15 gal,
I'll need 2 bags then. How deep do you think I should make the bed?

The 2 inch target is good. It is not necessary to make it deeper, and
shallower doesn't give much room for roots to develop.

If cost is an issue, mix with SIMILAR SIZE GRAVEL to get to 2 inches. Keep at
least 50% Flourite in your mix. If you use sand, it will settle to the bottom
rather quickly. If you use larger gravel, you will make it hard to keep plants
rooted, and it will eventually separate too.

Flourite tends to separate from gravel or sand because it is different shape
(flatter chips, rather than rounder pebbles) and lighter density. Mixing only
with similar size gravel slows or stops the tendency.

Dave M. Picklyk 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

how deep to make flourite bed?

It is a 15 gallon long tank. Right now I have some river bed gravel and it's
only going a little over 1 inch :(

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I will be getting some flourite next month for my aquarium. The 7kg bag

of
flourite says it covers a typical 10 gal with 2 inches. I have a 15 gal,
I'll need 2 bags then. How deep do you think I should make the bed?

Do you have a 15 gallon long or high? What are the dimensions of your

tank?

I think you'd be all right putting two bags in. Except if the tank is

only 12"
high, in which case a deep substrate might take up too much space.

If your tank is only 12" high, you might consider buying just one bag of
Flourite, and mixing it with a small amount regular gravel, to get a 2"

bed.

Leigh

chet 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

how deep to make flourite bed?

If you need a deeper substrate, maybe you could distribute it shallow at the
front of the tank, and deep at the back of the tank. I'm thinking that
larger plants would require a deeper substrate, but smaller foreground
plants might not need quite as much.

Maybe it is a crazy idea. I don't know what I am doing anyway. I'm just
learning.

chet