Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default how many cardinals for 15 planted aqua?

Hopefully not going too much off this newsgroup's topic: Does anyone know
how many cardinal tetras I can get for my planted 15 gal without over
populating? I hear these guys grow bigger then the neon tetras. Right now I
have 3 small otos, 2 bronze cats, and a beta. I think a nice school of
tetras would be a nice addition to a planted aquarium.

What do you think?

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Moontanman

a dozen would be about right as long as you don't put many other fish in the
tank. there would be room for maybe 6 more small fish at this rate. don't
forget that fish that hide count just as much as the ones that swim around a
lot
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
NetMax

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
Hopefully not going too much off this newsgroup's topic: Does anyone

know
how many cardinal tetras I can get for my planted 15 gal without over
populating? I hear these guys grow bigger then the neon tetras. Right

now I
have 3 small otos, 2 bronze cats, and a beta. I think a nice school of
tetras would be a nice addition to a planted aquarium.

What do you think?

iirc Bettas & Corys both have supplemental oxygen acquiring methods,
leaving three 2" ottos. By the guidelines, this leaves 8" of capacity
(or 4 Cardinal Tetras), which is why these guidelines fall short of
reality. IMHO, with good filtration, your max might be around 25 Cards
(assuming low/mid-level moderately planted and weekly water change of
10-20%). To give yourself some margin, I would go with less than 20, but
more than 10 (for the effect). Putting a Pearl Danio in there (with
about 12 Cards) might cause the Cards to school a bit tighter, rather
than expanding to fill the tank ;o). ymmv

NetMax

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Jim Miller

make sure that your planted tank gives the cards a place to school in some
relative shade. unfortunately i found out that cards are pretty photophobic
and mostly hide in the back of my 3wpg tank where it is least lit.

i'm probably going to give my healthy cards away in favor of some harlequin
rasboras.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
Hopefully not going too much off this newsgroup's topic: Does anyone know
how many cardinal tetras I can get for my planted 15 gal without over
populating? I hear these guys grow bigger then the neon tetras. Right now I
have 3 small otos, 2 bronze cats, and a beta. I think a nice school of
tetras would be a nice addition to a planted aquarium.

What do you think?

Two Acre Wood (Snow Cardinals) Patty Peeples Garden Photos 5 30-03-2008 11:33 AM
Two Acre Wood (Cardinals and Bluebirds, Love is in the air) Patty Peeples Garden Photos 6 15-02-2007 10:17 AM
cardinals Sallyrat&Sweetie Gardening 7 17-07-2005 11:07 PM
Cardinals flying into my windows??!! BRW Texas 6 26-01-2004 01:10 PM
what are good levels for nitrates in planted aqua? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 13 20-04-2003 07:21 AM