GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   red/brown "algae"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16375-red-brown-algae.html)

Jim Wunderlich 20-04-2003 07:20 AM

red/brown "algae"?

I Just started up the cycling process on a new tank and added plants
and a few giant danios. The plants:

anubias barteri
anubias nana
anubia coffeefolia
java fern
crinum thaianum

In the past 4-5 days there has a been a bunch of growth of
brownish/deep-reddish looking algae, mostly coating the anubias leaves.
They look like s^&*. The crinums are the least affected, almost none at
all. This is a hard water tank in CA (being prepped for malawi's).

Any advice on what to do? Wait it out? Watch them die? Add something?

THANKS!!!

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Dustin 20-04-2003 07:20 AM

red/brown "algae"?

I think I have the same problem.

Do the leaves just look brown? like the plant turned brown, but there is
like little fury growth on the roots ?

What do we do?

Dave Millman 20-04-2003 07:20 AM

red/brown "algae"?

Jim Wunderlich wrote:

I Just started up the cycling process on a new tank and added plants
and a few giant danios.

Regarding starting a planted tank right:
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...ting%20up.html

Regarding brown stuff:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/diatom.html
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/algae-randall.html

The group FAQ:
http://www.thekrib.com/

Jim Wunderlich 20-04-2003 07:20 AM

red/brown "algae"?

In article ,
"Dustin" wrote:

I think I have the same problem.

Do the leaves just look brown? like the plant turned brown, but there is
like little fury growth on the roots ?

What do we do?

yes, brown stuff on the leaves with some furry stuff on the rhizomes.
BTW, I have a 40 gallon tank with 40 watts of flourescent, 12 hours per
day. I forgot to mention that!

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply.