Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Phil Williamson

Default DIY reflectors?

Do reflectors make much of a difference in terms of how much light plants
actually get? If so, does anyone have any DIY plans for reflectors.??

Phil..

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Ross Vandegrift

In article , Phil Williamson wrote:
Do reflectors make much of a difference in terms of how much light plants
actually get? If so, does anyone have any DIY plans for reflectors.??

It can make a big difference. I bought a Bright Kit from AH Supply when
I setup my 29g planted tank, and the reflector was significantly better
than any others I'd seen.

If you're into DIYing a reflector, you'll want to make it parabolic,
with the tube at the focus of the parabola (hope you remember some
algebra!). That will maximize the amount of light that will enter the
water directly.

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Iain Miller

"Phil Williamson" wrote in message
Do reflectors make much of a difference in terms of how much light plants
actually get? If so, does anyone have any DIY plans for reflectors.??

I've got reflectors on all my tubes and yes, they do make a big difference.
They were not that expensive to buy & for what they cost I think it would be
more trouble than its worth to try & make something. I suppose you could try
cutting something like some 4" plastic pipe in half and lining it with Tin
foil - not sure how the plastic would fare with the heat though - could be
smelly!

A simple and easy first step would be to line the inside of your whole hood
with Tin foil - that shouldn't be too difficult & should make some
difference. Don't block off the air circulation though....

HTH

I.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
SteveG

Try looking for acrylic mirrors in any industrial plastic retail stores.
They're very easy to work with.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Jim Rea

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Do reflectors make much of a difference in terms of how much light plants
actually get? If so, does anyone have any DIY plans for reflectors.??

Reflectors can make a big difference. However, it's not easy to make

them.
Most people who build their own fixtures just paint the inside of the

fixture
white. This works better than trying to line them with foil, mylar, etc.

Leigh

You can also use the mirrored tile you get from most home repair depots;
some just peel and stick while you have to glue others on. Most can be cut
with a good utility knife.

They make very good reflectors.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Trygve Lillefosse

Do reflectors make much of a difference in terms of how much light plants
actually get? If so, does anyone have any DIY plans for reflectors.??

The cheapest and easyest way is to go to your city-dump. Find some
discarded fluoressent-fixtures and look for reflectors. Theese can
normaly be parted by beding them back and forth, thus creating
mettal-fattigue.

They are not quite as good at the ones made for aquarium, but you will
gett a pretty decent increase in downward light.

SEE YA !!!

Malawi, The Fisher King - Ruler Of The World
Conquering the world for YOU since 1972.
Remove nospam to mail me.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Richard J. Sexton

There's two elements to reflectors: the physical housing, the shape of
which is fairly important, and the reflector material.

The absolute best reflector material is 3M silverlux. Expensive. If
you're not gonna use that you literaly may as well use the silver
colored mylar from the inside of potato chip bags.

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org

grow light reflectors todderic Edible Gardening 10 23-09-2011 08:13 PM
Reflectors Bob Walsh Orchids 0 02-12-2004 12:02 PM
Reflectors Bob Walsh Orchids 0 02-12-2004 12:02 PM
DIY CO2 Question kush Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:13 AM
Maximum PSI Pressure created by DIY CO2 Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 29-03-2003 03:20 PM