Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
linda mar

Default pots in aquarium

Hi,

I'm interested in the potting method since I do have UGF, and will have
plants soon (to be delivered in a few days) and have been trying to figure
out a good way to trap nutrients to the roots...

my question is:

1. how large diameter would be sufficient to give enough root space for
most plants? (my aquarium floorspace is 30"x12".. so it won't be easy to put
more than a few small-diameter containers)
2. how shallow can these containers be?
3. do I need to punch any holes in the bottom of the containers?
4. wouldn't the roots rot? how to prevent this?
5. can you do this with larger plants like amazon sword plants, etc?

linda.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Since you have a UGF, you might want to plant heavy root feeders like
Vallisneria in pots. Use margarine containers, or cut down water bottles.

You
can plant the plants in the containers, then bury the containers in the

gravel
so they don't show.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
kush

linda mar wrote ...

1. how large diameter would be sufficient to give enough root space for

most plants?

Depends on whether or not you knock the bottom out of the pot and/or how
often you're willing to move plants around. If a plant gets too big for one
of my pots, I either replace it with a smaller plant or take it out and
prune the roots.

2. how shallow can these containers be?

Not sure I understand. Just deep enough to hold your plants and planting
medium?

3. do I need to punch any holes in the bottom of the containers?

Usually I do, but sometimes I don't. Obviously water circulation is better
if you do but, on the other hand, their easier to move around if you don't.
Experiment.

4. wouldn't the roots rot?

Nope.

5. can you do this with larger plants like amazon sword plants, etc?

Yes and, actually, those are exactly the sort of plants I do use pots for.
Amazons are heavy root feeders - by confining them in pots I can provide
fertilizer spikes, without having them leach away into the rest of the tank,
and special planting medium, such as peat moss.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
linda mar

Hi Kush..

thank you for replying...

2. how shallow can these containers be?

Not sure I understand. Just deep enough to hold your plants and planting
medium?

I was thinking about buying one of those clear plastic plant saucers (they
sell for about $0.50ea at local hardware store, etc) that is about 1-1.5"
deep and using them in lieu of real pots...

3. do I need to punch any holes in the bottom of the containers?

Usually I do, but sometimes I don't. Obviously water circulation is

better
if you do but, on the other hand, their easier to move around if you

don't.
Experiment.

okay!

5. can you do this with larger plants like amazon sword plants, etc?

Yes and, actually, those are exactly the sort of plants I do use pots for.
Amazons are heavy root feeders - by confining them in pots I can provide
fertilizer spikes, without having them leach away into the rest of the

tank,
and special planting medium, such as peat moss.

how deep is your pot for amazon swords?

linda

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
kush

I use clay pots. In addition to looking nice, they become quickly colonized
with nitrifying bacteria (a good thing).

As I said, I usually knock the bottoms out of the pots which means they're
more like containment "rings" than "pots." Therefore, height of pot = depth
of substrate + how much of the pot you think looks good sticking out of the
substrate. When I plant a red rubin in an 8" pot with the bottom off, I do
not expect that it's roots are not going to end up thirty-something inches
away on the other side of the tank.

I don't think I'd try planting in a pot with no "drainage" i.e., no way for
water to circulate or, more to the point, toxins to leach out. I would
expect the roots to rot in fairly short order. Still, you never know until
you try...

I've lost track of what it is you're trying to do: is this for the purpose
of landscaping or cultivation? If the latter, you can buy those aquatic
plant pots/cages in bulk.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

linda mar wrote in message
Hi Kush..

thank you for replying...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Ron Kundla

I have put swords in clay pots with just the single hole in the bottom
and had no problems with root rot. When I wanted to move the plant out
of the pot, there was a large root mass, healthy white -- no brown or
black.

Of course, YMMV. :-D

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
linda mar

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to try and see how it goes..

this is for landscaping in a "not too small" aquarium (30x12" floor space)..
and trying to think of a good way to contain nutrients to the roots of heavy
feeding plants since I'm using UGF :-P

linda

"kush" wrote in message
[...]

linda mar wrote in message