Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Bob A

Default CF light - allglass or CL aqualight?

I am trying to decide between these two Power Compacts, the All-Glass which
is 2x55w 9325 color and the CoralLife Aqualight which is 2x65, combination
10000 actinic and 6700 in one bulb. This is for a 55gal 48" tank. I have
some plants doing well under 40w but am planning to get more plants and
would like them to do well.

Can anyone advise me please? Does anyone have the CoralLife 50/50 bulbs? I
figure that gives me 65w of "plant light" and 65w of "viewing light". The
AG is a poor CRI, I don't know about the CL.

Also, would I be better to get one 48" fixture, or two 24"? Any opinions on
this?

thank you
bob allred

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Bob A

Thank you. I read your website a few months back, I would like to
compliment you on it. It was enjoyable and informing. I especially liked
the diary of your experience with one of your tanks. I'll have to catch up
on it.

The Custom Sealife is only $20 more. What I'd like to be clear about is,
are you using the 8800K bulbs that come with it, and recommend them?

thanks,

bob

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I have a 75 gallon tank, with one All-Glass 2x55 and one Custom Sealife

2x65.
The Custom Sealife is a Britelite, which comes with non-actinic bulbs. A

lot
of people say plants love the All-Glass, which comes with the GE 9325

bulbs.
Most people really love the look, too, though I find it a little

pink-looking.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Flandry

I'm a bit behind on the Blog section. I've been keeping notes and taking
photos, but I haven't gotten around to coding & uploading.

Here's a second to the motion that you do that. I found it very
interesting, and was a bit disappointed it ended so long ago.

Have you considered AH Supply? They only have 55w fixtures, not 65, but their
reflectors are excellent, much better than All-Glass.

My double 55W retrofit kit from AH is on it's way as of today, in
spite of Leigh's suggestions i go with the shoplights and glass
canopy. I'll let you know how it works out for me if you like... I'm
planning on retrofitting an All-Glass deluxe hood (gutting the
single-bulb 48" light strip and putting the two 55W PCs in its place).
I plan to document it on my web page at some point.

Leigh, after considering all the costs and weighing the tradeoffs, i
don't think CF is such a bad way to go. Well, i had to find out for
myself, anyway.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
kush

LeighMo wrote ...

You will need a few tools to retrofit the hood. You can probably borrow a

drill from someone, but you may need to buy a
special bit that can drill really big holes.

If you install the end vents included in the AH Supply kit you'll need a 1"
hole bit. But if you're retrofitting an All-glass hood you don't really
need the side vents because the hood is already vented all along the top.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Flandry

My double 55W retrofit kit from AH is on it's way as of today, in
canopy. I'll let you know how it works out for me if you like... I'm
planning on retrofitting an All-Glass deluxe hood (gutting the
single-bulb 48" light strip and putting the two 55W PCs in its place).
I plan to document it on my web page at some point.

Okay retrofit (and write-up) finished, if anybody is curious, check it out:

http://www.inquisitive.org/retrofit.php

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Flandry

(Richmond) wrote in message . com...
http://www.inquisitive.org/retrofit.php

Thanks! That's a pretty neat page.

But I see Algae !! I see Green water too... Its comming.

You need Live Plants, Plants, Plants and nothing else.

-Dominic

Ah yes, but thanks to Leigh, i will soon have those (well, small bits
of plants, anyway). Plus, the Hornwort in there already is rumoured
to be "prolific".

Unfortunately, the SAEs i just bought in anticipation of that also
brought with them ICH! All my puffers have little white spots on them
now, and one SAE died. I've NEVER had Ich in an aquarium before.
That LFS is definitely far down my list now.

What's the best way to treat Ich? Should i add some aquarium salt?

Thanks for checking it out.