GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help! plant overload! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16453-help-plant-overload.html)

linda mar 20-04-2003 06:21 AM

help! plant overload!

Hi all,

Well, I just purchased some plants from TrueAquariumPlants.. and oh my lord,
the 20-30gal selection can probably easily fill a 50+gal tank!!! (thanks
phyl!)

so, in effect, I have way too many plants than my tank can probably hold,
unless I can close-pack some of the larger plants (swords), and somehow
figure out an ingenious way to put it all together...

so.. my question is, how close-packed can you put sword plants together
(amazon and ozelot) without severely affecting their well-being? Also, is
it okay if they get tucked away in a corner? also, can I prune them now, or
should I wait until the roots take hold? (one of the swords are really
sprawled out sideways.. I was hoping I can chop off about 4-5 of the stalks
while leaving like, 10 leaves...

also, I've read that you're not supposed to cover the crown of the plants
with substrate.. but if I don't, the larger plants keep floating away (small
ones stay ok)... will this amend itself once the roots take hold better?

also, I got few java ferns. can I stick them in the gravel too, or do I
need to train it to a rock or a wood like anubias?

also, how does anyone clean the gravel when it's a jungle in there...

linda

Victor M. Martinez 20-04-2003 06:21 AM

help! plant overload!

linda mar wrote:
Well, I just purchased some plants from TrueAquariumPlants.. and oh my lord,
the 20-30gal selection can probably easily fill a 50+gal tank!!! (thanks
phyl!)

Isn't it amazing?

(amazon and ozelot) without severely affecting their well-being? Also, is
it okay if they get tucked away in a corner? also, can I prune them now, or

I have swords in 3 out of the 4 corners of my tank and they're ok.

should I wait until the roots take hold? (one of the swords are really
sprawled out sideways.. I was hoping I can chop off about 4-5 of the stalks
while leaving like, 10 leaves...

That should be ok. You will probably loose some leaves due to transplant shock
anyway.

also, how does anyone clean the gravel when it's a jungle in there...

You don't. Leftover food and fish poop are plant fertilizer.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Dave Millman 20-04-2003 06:21 AM

help! plant overload!

linda mar wrote:

so.. my question is, how close-packed can you put sword plants together
(amazon and ozelot) without severely affecting their well-being?

Do not plant them any closer than 5-6 inches. Even that far apart, you will be
forcing the leaves to point up rather than out. Further apart and they can
spread horizontally.

Also, is
it okay if they get tucked away in a corner?

Yes. Leave 2-3 inches to the glass in each direction.

also, can I prune them now, or
should I wait until the roots take hold? (one of the swords are really
sprawled out sideways.. I was hoping I can chop off about 4-5 of the stalks
while leaving like, 10 leaves...

Prune as much or as little as you want, always from the outside, unless an
inside leaf is damaged. Always prune leaves that show even a bit of wear and
tear, since they won't be around for long anyway.

also, I've read that you're not supposed to cover the crown of the plants
with substrate.. but if I don't, the larger plants keep floating away (small
ones stay ok)... will this amend itself once the roots take hold better?

Yes. Try a rock or wood on a sacrificial outer leaf for a week or two, to give
the roots a chance. Or trim more leaves.

also, I got few java ferns. can I stick them in the gravel too, or do I
need to train it to a rock or a wood like anubias?

The latter is better.

also, how does anyone clean the gravel when it's a jungle in there...

Haven't done it for 15 months and counting.

Have fun!

chet 20-04-2003 06:21 AM

help! plant overload!

Yeah, ain't it great? Me too. Here's a URL with what I received about three
weeks ago. I started keeping track. I don't know if it is "right or wrong",
but it is what I have and what I've did. I haven't updated the picture after
stuffing the plants into the box of water, but they are growing like crazy.
I keep saying that I'll post an updated photo. Maybe this weekend.

http://home.surewest.net/chet/aquariumplants.htm

Probably similar to the quantity you received.

chet