GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Substrate Confussion. oh and lighting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16458-substrate-confussion-oh-lighting.html)

Paul Disdle 20-04-2003 06:21 AM

Substrate Confussion. oh and lighting

What do i but on the bottom of my tank? my head is swimming what with
flourite, dupoint, gravel, sand etc etc.

A was thinking aquatic compost with fine gravel ontop. Is this a good idea.

All suggestions are welcome.

The tank is 48x12x18 (170L).

Oh and lighting is the other issue I was thinking two flouresent strips.
Triton 38w 42" will this work too little? too much?

Paul

---

Andre Malenfant 20-04-2003 06:21 AM

Substrate Confussion. oh and lighting

You should try to reach close to 3w/gallons. Two strips of this size
would be closer to 2w/g. Note that you still can grow plants at 2w/g
but don't expect rapid growth. Some plant species will grow well,
others won't.

Dave Millman 20-04-2003 06:21 AM

Paul Disdle wrote:

What do i but on the bottom of my tank? my head is swimming what with
flourite, dupoint, gravel, sand etc etc.

A was thinking aquatic compost with fine gravel ontop. Is this a good idea.

If you can figure a way to move or replant a plant without releasing compost
into your water, it might work.

What's wrong with simple substrates, like Flourite (my favorite) or 2mm gravel
(cheaper)?