Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
neilmn

Default duckweed and plecos

Plecos certainly love green stuff. Anyone know, from experience, whether
they'll eat duckweek?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
kush

It never occurred to me to wonder but, now that you mention it, I have
duckweed in all my tanks except the two that have pl*cos in them. Usually,
the duckweed and riccia grow all mixed up together but, in the high-light
tank with the royal pl*co in it, there is only riccia. I'm not sure how to
check since they never even move, let alone eat, if they think I might be
looking at them.

te.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 19:14:30 -0600, "neilmn"
wrote:

Plecos certainly love green stuff. Anyone know, from experience, whether
they'll eat duckweek?

I doubt it, since their mouths point down, and duckweed is always up.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
neilmn

Yes, but float a cucumber slice on the water, and a pleco will be glad to
turn itself on its back so it can suck on the underside of the slice.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
E. Mito

In article , Chuck Gadd

From: Chuck Gadd
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 23:03:15 -0700

wrote:

Plecos certainly love green stuff. Anyone know, from experience, whether
they'll eat duckweek?

I doubt it, since their mouths point down, and duckweed is always up.

Mine will catch food pellets floating on the surface with his mouth. It's
quite a sight to see; he'll float suspended at an odd angle with his belly
pointed up while he works on sucking the pellet. It's as if he doesn't realize
the food is free floating and not stuck to a substrate like algae.
Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Haywire

Hehe chuck you underestimate the abilities of the pl*co

my sailfin would dangle from the roots of the water lettuce chewing his way
up to the top of the plant. not much of leap to think he wouldn't eat the
leaves if I didn't spook him.

Chuck Gadd wrote in
: