Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
SandyBelle

Default What Levels PO4 and KNO3?

Have been fairly successful in getting rid of green water using info from
info from Tom Barr on our 215 gallon tank. Stats a

Iron - 0.1 ppm (never has been anything else but)
pH - 7.0 (controlled by Dupla auto-CO2 system)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - keep between 5 and 10 ppm (adding 1.5 tsp 2x a week or more often
if falls below per Tom Barr)
KH - 10 degrees
Total Hardness - 120 ppm
Total Alkalinity - 300 ppm
Phosphate - 0.5 (after adding 1/8 tsp 2x a week - per Tom Barr)

I know that KNO3 should be between 6-7 ppm (Tom Barr). I can't seem to find
out from anywhere what is the target PO4 I am shooting for? Also, I am
adding PO4, not K2PO4 as Tom indicated. Should I also buy Potassium? And
if so, what is the target level for that?

Are any of my stats the reason for the red jungle val to loose their leaves
as soon as they become red? or that they are all getting krinkled? Also my
once beautiful cryptocorynes and getting pale on the leaves except for the
leaf veins are bright green? I'm getting all algae under control now except
for some hair algae.

Thanks in advance for all you help. This site really has helped us keep
progressing on this tank.

Belle/Vernon

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM

"SandyBelle" wrote in message I can't seem to find
out from anywhere what is the target PO4 I am shooting for?

Generally about 10:1 whatever the N is at. So at 10ppm of NO3, about
1.0ppm of PO4 is good.
5ppm of NO3, 0.5ppm of PO4 etc. But it's not critical. As long as it's
within a good range and things don't go outside these ranges for more
than a day or so.(2-15ppm NO3, 0.3ppm to 1.5ppm or so PO4)

Also, I am
adding PO4, not K2PO4 as Tom indicated. Should I also buy Potassium? And
if so, what is the target level for that?

For a 215 with 2x a week KNO3, adding 2 teaspoons a week after a water
change would do it. You are also getting a fair amount 2x from the
KNO3 also. It's even less of target, 20-40ppm range is fine.

Are any of my stats the reason for the red jungle val to loose their leaves
as soon as they become red? or that they are all getting krinkled? Also my
once beautiful cryptocorynes and getting pale on the leaves except for the
leaf veins are bright green? I'm getting all algae under control now except
for some hair algae.

When you change things and plants start growing faster, they will
often loose old leaves but you should see new growth. If the Vals lose
the leaves and become red it may mean NO3 is too low.
Test kits for NO3 are often very bad.

Regards,
Tom Barr