Old 20-04-2003, 07:21 AM
B.

Default CO2 Pressure

I currently am using a pressurized tank to inject co2 into my tank. I was
wondering what was the safest or most effective pounds of pressure that
should be released. I was running it at 20 but i have cut it down to 15 and
seem to be using less co2. But i also heard that at these low levels my
dual guage will break quickly. I s this true?

Another question i was wondering about is when is a good time to fertilize.
Is it true that you shouldnt fertilize right after a water change. I was
fertilizing after water changes and every time i would get green water. I
was wondering if it was from this or from the lil sun light that pokes its
head through the window.

And one more question for the road. those anyone know of a very good (user
tested) reactor that enables the co2 to get into teh water column
efficiently. I am looking for a small reactor...not a diffuser (if you
think i should get a diffuser please give me some reasons). Also what are
good co2 indicators that you can see at a glance in the tank?

Thank you

Old 20-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Cannibul

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 03:11:15 GMT, "B." wrote:

I currently am using a pressurized tank to inject co2 into my tank. I was
wondering what was the safest or most effective pounds of pressure that
should be released. I was running it at 20 but i have cut it down to 15 and
seem to be using less co2. But i also heard that at these low levels my
dual guage will break quickly. I s this true?

Never heard that one before. I run mine about 20 psi for several
reasons. If 15 works for you then go for it.

Another question i was wondering about is when is a good time to fertilize.
Is it true that you shouldnt fertilize right after a water change. I was
fertilizing after water changes and every time i would get green water. I
was wondering if it was from this or from the lil sun light that pokes its
head through the window.

I'd bet on the sun. I dose my tank after every water change. But
then again you did not tell us what you are dosing or what you are
testing for. It could be that your water is high in nitrates or
phosphates or both and when you dose you are overdosing on one or both
of these.

And one more question for the road. those anyone know of a very good (user
tested) reactor that enables the co2 to get into teh water column
efficiently. I am looking for a small reactor...not a diffuser (if you
think i should get a diffuser please give me some reasons). Also what are
good co2 indicators that you can see at a glance in the tank?

Thank you

If you have a canister filter you should build your own reactor. If
you need ideas check out the Aqua Botanic forum for ideas. I have
built several reactors and they work awesome!
Old 20-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 03:11:15 GMT, "B." wrote:

should be released. I was running it at 20 but i have cut it down to 15 and
seem to be using less co2. But i also heard that at these low levels my
dual guage will break quickly. I s this true?

No, it won't "break" anything. Some regulators are not stable at very
low pressures (5psi or so). 15 should be fine for any regulator.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 20-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Dave Millman

"B." wrote:

I currently am using a pressurized tank to inject co2 into my tank. I was
wondering what was the safest or most effective pounds of pressure that
should be released. I was running it at 20 but i have cut it down to 15 and
seem to be using less co2. But i also heard that at these low levels my
dual guage will break quickly. I s this true?

No. You should probably set a range between 10 and 20 psi, then use your needle
valve to adjust the number of bubbles per minute you want. Then, check
continuously over a period of days to see if that setting stays stable. This is
the most important issue-stable output you can depend on.

Higher pressu often more stable, but harder to make fine adjustments at the
needle valve (like going from 30 to 35 bubbles per minute)

Lower pressu often less stable, but fine adjustments at the needle valve may
be easier.

All of the depends on your exact equipment. Try it and see.