Old 20-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Rick

Default replacement T8 bulb

I have a standard strip light out of a Marina canopy , 48" with a 40W aqua
glow bulb. The light is about 14 months old now and I guess should be
replaced as I have it over a planted tank. Is there a decent alternative to
buying the Hagen bulb which typically goes for about $20-$25.00 (cdn) here.
Thx.
--
Rick

Old 20-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Rick

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Is there a decent alternative to
buying the Hagen bulb which typically goes for about $20-$25.00 (cdn)

here.

You can use a normal flourescent tube. Try a Phllips "daylght" or GE
"Sunshine" bulb.

Leigh

by normal are you talking about a T8 Phillips or GE Sunshine. I did see the
GE today but it was a T12 bulb.

Rick

Old 20-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Flandry

by normal are you talking about a T8 Phillips or GE Sunshine. I did see the
GE today but it was a T12 bulb.

If your present bulb is a 40W, 48" bulb, it's not a T8 bulb. Either
T10 or T12. I would guess T10, because that's what my All-Glass light
strip used before i retrofit it. T8 is not widely used in commercial
Aquarium lighting because there are less colors available (or so i've
been told), but it is very common in commercial lighting because it's
more efficient. A 48" T8 bulb is typically 33W, and hence is called a
T8F33 or something like that. It's supposed to give the "same" light
as a 40W T12.

Any bulb with a very high CRI will be useful to plants. There are
others that produce more in the specific wavelengths plants use
(maximizing your useful wattage), but they don't look as good and also
are harder to find and more expensive.
Old 20-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Rick

"Flandry" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The bulb is 42", standard fixture on the 48" canopy. Does not say on the
bulb whether it is a T8 or T10 but it is definitely not a T12. Appears to be
about half the size of a T12. Standard Hagen Power Glo bulb, what ever they
are.

Rick