Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Striped ramshorn snails

So I bought some MTS from aquabid.com and the guy who sold them to me also
sold these really cool striped ramshorn snails. I already have a few
ramshorn snails and they're great in my tank, so I decided to order some.
The guy sent at least a dozen mature snails, very attractive. However,
these guys are EATING my plants!!!
So, beware the striped ramshorn snails. I'll be taking them out of the
tank this afternoon and taking them to the LFS. Maybe they'll buy them
from me.

cheers.

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Victor M. Martinez

LeighMo wrote:
How big are they? And are you sure they are mature?

Can't tell about mature (though they did lay some eggs) but they are about
1" across.

They sound like they might be "columbian" ramshorns -- the ones that get to be
1" or more across. Columbian ramshorns usually have pretty striped shells.
And they do eat plants.

Yes they do. They're now sitting in a pitcher with tank water waiting for the
lfs to open at noon.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Victor M. Martinez

LeighMo wrote:
LOL! Well, I'm sure the LFS will be happy to take them. They are attractive
and interesting critters. Just not suitable for a planted tank.

Unfortunately, the LFS guy informed me those snails are illegal in Texas.
He put them in the freezer to kill them...
I emailed the guy who sold them to me and warned him against selling those
to customers in Texas. He was nice enough to refund my money.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
350X_Rider

LOL! Well, I'm sure the LFS will be happy to take them. They are
attractive
and interesting critters. Just not suitable for a planted tank.

Unfortunately, the LFS guy informed me those snails are illegal in Texas.
He put them in the freezer to kill them...
I emailed the guy who sold them to me and warned him against selling those
to customers in Texas. He was nice enough to refund my money.

Bad LFS employee... Bad LFS employee....

that's a shame.... I might have taken it/them off your hands... I'm sure
somebody would have atleast....