Old 20-04-2003, 07:22 AM
dpots

Default Brown Algae Control

Does anyone have any advice or suggestion on how to stop brown algae
from completely taking over my 60g plant tank? I have a DIY CO2
system, dense plant coverage consisting of several anubias species,
horwort, java moss, crypts, vals, hygrophilia, apongs, money wort, and
temple plants. All of the plants are growing great and have lots of
pearling during the day. I filter the aquarium with an Aguaclear 500
and run approximately 200 watts of light for about 10 hours. My tank
has been set up for about 2 months and recently it has been over run
with brown algae. The algae is on everything (plants, fluorite,
rocks, driftwood, and glass.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 20-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Martin

I just had exactly the same happen to me.....New tank, flourite and bogwood
covered soon after the plants went in.

I did not get to try all the variations (of light reduction, playing with my
CO2 or anything like that).

LeighMo suggested to me to try Otocinclus - I got 8 of them for my 66g tank
(thinking that one or two may die - but they didn't) - they turned it all
around in about 4-6 days. Now bogwood clean - glass clean - plants clean -
they even stop the debris collecting in my Eleocharis hairgrass. They are
about 1-1.5 inches long (full grown) and they dont look too bad either.

I like them lots...I would marry them if I could - lol.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Jody

Brown algae is very typical with new tanks - yes, 2 months is still new -
and otos are definitely the way to go.

Jody