Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
John Worfin

Default Green stringy algae and what to do about it

Hi, I have something of a problem with green stringy algae. It tends to
grow in clumps, attaches to plants (mostly the stems), crawls through the
gravel, and seems to exist to annoy me. This algae reminds me of (and I
have to allow that it might even be) Java Moss. It can be removed
mechanically, but its pervasiveness makes that difficult.

My tank is otherwise very healthy. I have strong light (4 48" flourescents
on a 55 gallon tank) and I inject CO2. I do water changes weekly (25-30%).
PH = 6.8 - 7.0, Temp = 79 - 82.

I have an assortment of algae eaters (4 stingray plecos, a mess of Ottos
(10+), 2 false Siamensis, and about 7 True SAEs (small). They either cannot
keep up or have no interest. I have three Clown Loaches (~3") so I don't
think I can go with Algae eating Shrimp.

Any suggestions about what to do would be appreciated.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
John Worfin

Thanks for the advice.

I did some testing for the first time in a long time last night. As you
(plural) suspected, My Nitrates and Phosphates were high - Nitrates = 22 ppm
and PO4 1+ ppm. I do weekly water changes of 25-30%. I just started mixing
tap water with R/O.

I have 4x40 watt flourescents on my 55 gal tank and I inject CO2 (if that
matters).

I have a few questions about reducing these values:

1) Do you recommend using chemical removers?

2) With the exception of this string algae (which is mechanically under
control) my tank is doing the best it has ever been. Will I put this in
jeopardy by reducing these values?

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I have three Clown Loaches (~3") so I don't
think I can go with Algae eating Shrimp.

My clown loaches are 5" and bigger now, and they don't bother my

algae-eating
shrimp.

But Dave's right, you can't expect algae eaters to work miracles. You

have to
get your tank in balance.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
nikolay_kraltchev

This is what always works for me:

1. Every day - Clean every little piece of hair algae that you can
see (by hand or using a toothbrush).

2. Every day - Adjust and watch very closely (check and adjust if
needed) the NO3, PO4, Fe, K, Traces.

3. Every day - Make sure your plants bubble heavily every day.

It's a question of giving a chance to the plants. Yes, it takes time,
but algae eating fish, a blackout and such are forceful approaches
that may or may not yield results.

--Nikolay
Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
rnj

I strongly recommend a phosphate remover, I use the solid type that can be
added to a media basket or bag. There are types that are like filter pads
that might be easier to use for you. BTW your algae sounds like it is the
dreaded hair algae, which is one that fish have a harder time of eating.
Lower your phosphates and make sure that you aren't adding any chemicals
that contain phosphate, and you'll see the algae growth stop.

. net...

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
John Worfin

Hi,

My PH ranges from 7.1 early AM to 6.8/6.9 when the lights go off. My KH is
4 degrees. Looking up the chart, if I read it correctly, I'm at or near
ideal CO2 levels.

As to the stocking of my tank:

3 Clown Loaches (~3 inches each)
16 Cardinal Tetras
6 Glow Light Tetras
A 'mess o' Ottos
2 False SAEs (~1.5 inches each)
6 True SAE's (~1 inch)
3 Sting Ray Plecos.

It's a 55 Gallon Tank.

The tank is densely planted with easy plants (Bacopa, Sunset Hygro, Java
Ferns, Rotala, and a couple of Crypts. I'm vacuuming lots of plant debris
each week.

I've only just started to use tap water. It was RO before that. I'm now
mixing about 50/50 RO to tap on changes.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I did some testing for the first time in a long time last night. As you
(plural) suspected, My Nitrates and Phosphates were high - Nitrates = 22

ppm
and PO4 1+ ppm. I do weekly water changes of 25-30%.

That's not so bad. Remember, your plants need some nitrate and phosphate

in
the water.

However, I would expect nitrate to be under 20ppm if you're changing 30% a
week. Is your tank heavily stocked? Or maybe there's nitate in the

tapwater?

I wouldn't use chemical removers. And I wouldn't worry about that level

of
phosphate. A lot of people blame phosphate for algae problems, but I have

40
ppm of phosphate in my tapwater, and no algae problems, in planted or

unplanted
tanks.

I have 4x40 watt flourescents on my 55 gal tank and I inject CO2 (if that
matters).

What are your CO2 levels? Do you know your pH and KH?

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
LeighMo

My PH ranges from 7.1 early AM to 6.8/6.9 when the lights go off. My KH is
4 degrees. Looking up the chart, if I read it correctly, I'm at or near
ideal CO2 levels.

Yes, that's pretty good. Though it would be better if you could keep it at 6.8
all the time.

I've only just started to use tap water. It was RO before that. I'm now
mixing about 50/50 RO to tap on changes.

That might help. Straight RO water isn't ideal for plants.

Leigh

yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 6 12-06-2004 01:02 PM
yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 1 09-06-2004 04:09 PM
yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 1 09-06-2004 03:04 PM
How do I get rid of stringy green moss in my Koi pond? RoundRide Ponds 2 10-03-2003 06:08 PM
Green stringy algae and what to do about it John Worfin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 21-02-2003 12:21 AM