Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Bob A

Default plant plans - help?

I have a sword and anachris in my 55g tank, have had them almost since
setup, along with some cabomba. The anachris did terribly until the pleco
ate the cabomba (which was doing wonderfully) one day. Now the anachris is
doing wonderfully. The sword is holding its own.

3-4 months back I did a LOT of research on the proper methods of good plant
health, with the intent of heavily planting. Things then drew me away from
this for a while. Now I have the All-Glass 110w PC (not on the tank yet), I
have PMDD consisting of K2SO4, KNO3, and MgSO4 (separately). I have read
and printed out the pages on thekrib on PMDD. I have Tropica Master Grow
and Flourish (so far I've only been using Flourish) and 1/3 Flourite
substrate (along with 2/3 pea-sized gravel).

I have ordered a variety of plants from Phyl at TAP, she is truly nice and
helpful. I would recommend her for mail-order plants to anyone. They
should arrive Friday.

I should add that I'm now using RO/DI water, due to contaminated well-water
and getting tired of "importing" water from 5 miles away in a trash can.
I'm using RO Right, a touch of baking soda, and Kent Essentials.

Now the questions. This is all boggling my mind. Does the TMG replace the
Flourish, or should I use both? The PMDD chemicals I have... I don't
understand how to dose with them (what amounts/ratios). I don't have any
way to test for iron, which is I believe what thekrib suggests. I'd
APPRECIATE suggestions on a starting dosage of these chemicals. I do know
how to watch the nitrates.

On the subject of CO2, I plan to use DIY. Where is a good mail-order store
to pick up CO2 airline tubing, or can I use regular tubing for a while? I
also need yeast, brewers yeast or Phyl at one point suggested champagne
yeast. I contacted a mail-order home-brewer supplier and he said "sure",
the price was very good, then he never sent me his phone number so I could
give him my CC number. Phyl suggests using a regular airstone with no
reactor. I think I will put an airstone next to the intake of my power
filter.

I'm not shooting for the "planted-tank award", I just don't want any
disasters.

Please don't suggest local businesses for acquiring the tubing, yeast, etc.
I have personal reasons for wanting to mail-order, along with the fact that
it is 70 miles or more to a home-brewing store, places like that.

to anyone who helps me out, thank you for reading my long post, and thank
you for your help!

bob allred
north carolina

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Richmond

Does the TMG replace the
Flourish, or should I use both?

If you are the one who bought the KNO3, K2SO4 and MgSO4 from me, then
I think you did not get the extra Trace mix.

So use Flourish *or* TMG with KNO3, K2SO4 and MgSO4.

On the subject of CO2, I plan to use DIY. Where is a good mail-order

store
to pick up CO2 airline tubing, or can I use regular tubing for a

while?

Initially you can use regular tubing. I think BigAlsOnline.com dosnt
have small length of Silicon tube. You can try www.thatpetplace.com.

also need yeast, brewers yeast or Phyl at one point suggested champagne
yeast. I contacted a mail-order home-brewer supplier and he said "sure",

Sorry to suggest local business, but its really cheap to get it
locally and your mailorder yeast may be expensive.

Thanks
Dominic
Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Bob A

Just so I don't write three replies, thanks to all of you.

My understanding was that PMDD (yes, I got this from you Richmond, thanks)
consists of "macronutrients" and you use it along with a "trace mix" which I
thought was, for example, TMG. I guess I was wrong.

From reading on Thekrib, Potassium, Magnesium, and Nitrogen are important.
These are the chemicals in the PMDD I bought from Richmond. Are they also
in TMG? I know it says "no nitrates".

If the bottom line is, just use the TMG, that simplifies things. I have a
1/2 liter bottle.

I will be receiving my plants Friday. I really want a beautifully planted
aquarium. I hope that if I have problems, you folks will help out.

bob

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Bob A

Thanks a lot, Leigh, this sounds like a good way to start out. (TMG only) I
have 1/3 fluorite substrate, Phyl says after 3 months start using Flourish
tabs in the substrate.

I can test nitrates fairly closely.

I want to thank you especially, because you have replied to almost every
question I've asked here, some a few months back, some within the past
several days.

bob

"LeighMo" wrote in message
My understanding was that PMDD (yes, I got this from you Richmond,

thanks)
consists of "macronutrients" and you use it along with a "trace mix"

which I
thought was, for example, TMG. I guess I was wrong.

PMDD has trace mix as well as other stuff like nitrate.

From reading on Thekrib, Potassium, Magnesium, and Nitrogen are

important.
These are the chemicals in the PMDD I bought from Richmond. Are they

also
in TMG? I know it says "no nitrates".

TMG doesn't have nitrogen (nitrate). But a lot of people don't need it.
Nitrate needs to be added to high-light tanks, or tanks without many fish.
Otherwise, fish provide more than enough of it. In addition, tapwater may

have
quite a bit of nitrate in it, depending on where you live.

Since your tank is a moderate-light tank (110 watts over 55 gallons), you

may
not even need to add nitrate. Get a test kit and measure first.

If the bottom line is, just use the TMG, that simplifies things. I have

1/2 liter bottle.

I would use just TMG, at least at first. Later on, you may find you need

add nitrate, phosphate, or other stuff. (But you might not. In a
moderate-light tank, TMG and regular water changes are often enough.

That's
all I use in my moderate-light tank.)

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
LeighMo

Thanks a lot, Leigh, this sounds like a good way to start out. (TMG only)

You might want to hold off on even that for the first couple or three weeks.
Let the plants get established. Until they are growing well, they won't need
fertilizer.

I want to thank you especially, because you have replied to almost every
question I've asked here, some a few months back, some within the past
several days.

You're welcome! Over the years, I've gotten a lot of help from fellow
hobbyists on the net. (Starting ten years ago, in CompuServe's FishNet Forum.)
So I try to do my part, and help out the "next generation." :-)

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Dave Millman

Bob A wrote:

I have 1/3 fluorite substrate, Phyl says after 3 months start using Flourish
tabs in the substrate.

I love Phyllis, I have sent her two customers this month alone, and the plants
she sold them were, as always, spectacular. Right now she is shipping Madagascar
Lace plants that are to die for.

But Phyllis keeps recommending mixing Flourite with gravel to help hold the
plants down. Since I've never had a single plant not stay down in my 100%
Flourite substrate, I don't understand this recommendation.

Since it holds down plants just fine, the only reasons to mix it are cost or
looks. If you decide to mix, remember two things:

1. The Flourite bag recommends not using less than 50% Flourite.

2. Unless the gravel is a similar size and shape, the mix will separate over
time. Sand will separate to the bottom, being more dense and smaller, as will
smaller pebbles. Larger gravel could go either way depending on size and shape,
but usually down.