GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hard:Alkaline::Soft:Acid ??? (was Amazon sword?) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16608-hard-alkaline-soft-acid-re-amazon-sword.html)

Victor M. Martinez 20-04-2003 07:23 AM

Hard:Alkaline::Soft:Acid ??? (was Amazon sword?)

my tank is very soft (based on city water info), and alkaline (pH~8
according to my LFS.

That's odd. Soft water is usually acid, hard water is usually alkaline.

Our local water supply has the following numbers from the city's webpage):

gH = 82ppm = 4.6 degrees
kH = 52ppm = 2.9 degrees
pH = 9.7

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

linda mar 20-04-2003 07:23 AM

Hard:Alkaline::Soft:Acid ??? (was Amazon sword?)

yup. that's pretty close to our numbers as well. about 50ppm average
(low=20, high~100), and pH is like 9.3 average.. the tank is 8, so either
the fish/plants/driftwood is altering the water, or just going from our tub
to the tank changes the pH.. don't know which (since I don't have the
capability to check pH yet)

linda

Victor M. Martinez 20-04-2003 07:23 AM

linda mar wrote:
(low=20, high~100), and pH is like 9.3 average.. the tank is 8, so either
the fish/plants/driftwood is altering the water, or just going from our tub
to the tank changes the pH.. don't know which (since I don't have the

Both. Your tap water will change pH after it degasses. Also, normal
metabolic processes in the tank tend to lower the pH. My tank is usually
around 7.8 or so.