Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Carmine J. Ventura JR

Default Under gravel filters

Hello all. . .

I have a 60 gal freshwater with live plants which have done poorly for quite
sometime. I have seeked advice about this in this newsgroup before and got
about a 50 / 50 split in opinion as to weather the undergravel filter is
good (or not good ) for the plants. Finally I desided to rip the thing out
and see what happened. Well. . . finally for the first time in several
months the plants are starting to do well, one in particular is thriving, it
doubled in size in a week ! Thanks to all who took the time to respond to me
in the past, your advice was appreciated.

Carmine

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
LeighMo

I have a 60 gal freshwater with live plants which have done poorly for quite
sometime. I have seeked advice about this in this newsgroup before and got
about a 50 / 50 split in opinion as to weather the undergravel filter is
good (or not good ) for the plants. Finally I desided to rip the thing out
and see what happened. Well. . . finally for the first time in several
months the plants are starting to do well, one in particular is thriving, it
doubled in size in a week !

Thanks for posting your results. We'll convince Kush one of these days! g

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
rnj

Water Sprite doesn't need to be rooted to thrive. I think it absorbs most of
its nutreints through its leaves. So I think your first interpretion is
correct.

I had a UGF in a 10 gallon tank and the water sprite I was growing in it
thrived with the UGF in use. The other plants did so-so. When I took the

UGF
out, the water sprite did not grow as well and did not look as healthy,
although it was easier to keep the other plants in better condition. Not

sure
how to interpret this; could be that since the other plants weren't doing

so
hot with the UGF, there were lots of nutrients for the water sprite to

use.
Alternatively, maybe the UGF is actually good for some types of plants...?

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Veggie Filters vs UV Filters ?? Thanks-- Ooops ! More. Bette E Ponds 0 29-04-2004 10:10 PM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Under gravel filters Carmine J. Ventura JR Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:12 AM
Under gravel filters Carmine J. Ventura JR Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 25-02-2003 12:44 AM