#1   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2007
Posts: 4
Default Anacharis dying

I've got a small 1 gal tank set up for the Betta I plan to get shortly. I've
been doing "fishless cycling" using ammonia and, once the cycling process
was nearly complete, I added a few plants: some bacopa, some anacharis, and
some java moss. Everything was put in just before I went on a week-long
business trip to Japan (with the idea that the tank would be ready for a
Betta when I got back).

I've got a small "bubble" filter in the tank and a heater. There's about a
half inch of gravel on the bottom. Water temperature is 80 degrees.
Illumination is a 15 watt compact fluorescent lamp. Tested water today and
got pH 6.8, Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, and Nitrates 80 ppm. (Looks like
the cycling is done).

Well, the bacopa and java moss are doing fine. Both have grown noticeably
since I've been gone. The anacharis, however, isn't doing well at all. The
leaves have gone wan and transparent and the stems have gone very soft and
broken in spots (leaving some stems floating in the water). I've pulled out
what's left although I haven't gravel vacced yet.

Any idea why my Anacharis is dying? Any suggestions on some other plant
choices for a small Betta tank?

--
David L. Burkhead "Dum Vivimus Vivamus"
"While we live, let us live."
My webcomic Cold Servings
http://www.coldservings.com -- Back from hiatus!
Updates Wednesdays




  #2   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 109
Default Anacharis dying

In article ,
David L. Burkhead wrote:
Any idea why my Anacharis is dying? Any suggestions on some other plant
choices for a small Betta tank?


Theres's a few similar looking secies that look like Anacharis, whih cis
a plant that reall prefers cold water and does very poorly at the higher temperatures
bettas like.

Egeria densa is a warm water counterpart.

I use java moss in small betta tanks, occasionally small crypts.

http://images.aquaria.net/tanks/rjs/hex2-1/2005/


--
Need Mercedes parts? http://parts.mbz.org
Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff: http://mbz.org
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | http://aquaria.net http://killi.net
  #3   Report Post  
Old 27-10-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2007
Posts: 4
Default Anacharis dying

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
David L. Burkhead wrote:
Any idea why my Anacharis is dying? Any suggestions on some other
plant
choices for a small Betta tank?


Theres's a few similar looking secies that look like Anacharis, whih
cis
a plant that reall prefers cold water and does very poorly at the
higher temperatures bettas like.

Egeria densa is a warm water counterpart.

I use java moss in small betta tanks, occasionally small crypts.

http://images.aquaria.net/tanks/rjs/hex2-1/2005/


I already had some Java moss and some bacopa. I've now cleaned out the
residue of the anacharis, done an 80% PWC on the tank followed by a 70% one
day later, added some Java fern, and gone ahead and introduced the betta.
Results seen he

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...sam071027d.jpg

--
David L. Burkhead "Dum Vivimus Vivamus"
"While we live, let us live."
My webcomic Cold Servings
http://www.coldservings.com -- Back from hiatus!
Updates Wednesdays



  #4   Report Post  
Old 13-11-2007, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 207
Default Anacharis dying


"David L. Burkhead" wrote in message
...

I already had some Java moss and some bacopa. I've now cleaned out the
residue of the anacharis, done an 80% PWC on the tank followed by a 70%
one
day later, added some Java fern, and gone ahead and introduced the betta.
Results seen he

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...sam071027d.jpg

========================
What a great little home for a betta. :-)

  #5   Report Post  
Old 14-11-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 115
Default Anacharis dying

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
...

"David L. Burkhead" wrote in message
...

I already had some Java moss and some bacopa. I've now cleaned out
the
residue of the anacharis, done an 80% PWC on the tank followed by a
70% one
day later, added some Java fern, and gone ahead and introduced the
betta.
Results seen he

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...sam071027d.jpg

========================
What a great little home for a betta. :-)


I'll second that! Lovely picture, too.

Gail




  #6   Report Post  
Old 15-11-2007, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2007
Posts: 4
Default Anacharis dying

Gail Futoran wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
...

"David L. Burkhead" wrote in message
...

I already had some Java moss and some bacopa. I've now cleaned out
the
residue of the anacharis, done an 80% PWC on the tank followed by a
70% one
day later, added some Java fern, and gone ahead and introduced the
betta.
Results seen he

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...sam071027d.jpg

========================
What a great little home for a betta. :-)


I'll second that! Lovely picture, too.


Thank you, both of you.

--
David L. Burkhead "Dum Vivimus Vivamus"
"While we live, let us live."
My webcomic Cold Servings
http://www.coldservings.com -- Back from hiatus!
Updates Wednesdays





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Anacharis/Elodea plants are dying,...What do I do??? Papa Red Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 06-08-2006 07:08 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Anacharis, does it overwinter? Douglas Bolt Ponds 9 30-03-2003 03:08 AM
Pruning anacharis Pete in the Colorado Mtns Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 10-02-2003 04:48 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017