Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Dustin

Default DIY Co2 & Rotala Macradra? Help? Comments? :)

Hi There,

I have built the Co2 Reactor from Jame's Thread - clear pvc - etc.
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...12&f=800602381
2&m=6096099912

I get 100% saturation from gas to water.

I have it hooked up with a Rio 1100 from the tank down to the reactor, back
to the left side of the tank.

Stats of Tank would help at this point. 125 gal 3.07 watts per gallon CP -
Flourite with sand bar on right end of tank. Heavily Planted - 10 Saes -
Some Ghost Shrimp - Snails - 6 Platys - 5 Plecos.

On each end of the tank is one stem of Rotala macrandra. I have read that
they will get more red with more Co2 and High Light.

The one on the left, very near the incomming Co2 saturated water, is Bright
Red. This one is in 100% flourite. The one on the right side of the tank
is kind of light pink. It is planted in 50% flourite, 50% sand as its where
the sand bar meets the flourite.

My question is - Should the co2 come in on each end of the tank? I wouldnt
think it would make the difference, however the Rotala macrandra near the
co2 input is doing much better then the one on the opposite side of the
tank.

Co2 Level is just carbon hardness of the water right? Shouldnt It be a
constant throughout the tank? OR could it be deluted by plant use by the
time it reaches the other end?

Any Thoughts? Am I just completly off here?

As Always - THANK

Dustin

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Mark Trueman

Might not be co2, may be light. The plants at the end of my tanks dont get
quite as much light as the tubes are only 40 inch and the tank is 48. That
leaves 4" unlit. Maybe you need to move your plants in a little.

Just a thought, might be total rubbish

Mark

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Dustin

Actually I was thinking about that too - There are some large vals near the
pinker one on the right - maybe its just not getting the same light

The Light is spread as even as I can get it though.

Thanks

Dustin

.. .

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Dave Millman

Mark Trueman wrote:

Might not be co2, may be light.

Then again, it might be the Flourite.

We're not going to reesolve it here. Dustin, Rotala macrandra grows pretty fast.
Adjust the light, see what happens in the two substrates. My R. macrandra grows
very very red and 1-2 cm per day with 3WPG, 25ppm CO2 and 100% flourite.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Dustin

Hi Dave,

The one in the sand seems to be getting redder the closer it gets to the
light, so a combination of the light and flourite must be the key.

Thanks

Dustin

Old 20-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Aquatic-store.com

Potassium will increase the redness and the close it gets to the light
as well.

Marcus

Check out our updated store with co2 equipment, lighting, live plants
and more

http://www.Aquatic-Store.com

Old 20-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Bob Alston

It may also help to improve the water circulation in the tank. I put a
small rio pump under my similar, but commerical, power co2 reactor.

Bob