Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Christopher

Default acrylic Tanks?

PRICE DATE ITEMS
$ 1,372.88 (fish tank, stand, canopy, lights, heater, pumps,
aragonite, buffer, salt, de-chlorinator, bubbler, air stone)
$ 171.99 (gravel, 2 rocks, pH kit)
$ 151.17 (water scrubber, nets, vacuum, acrylic care stuff,
tongs, thermometer, feeding suction cup, magnet wall cleaner)
$ 24.86 (surge protector, extension cord, timer, bucket)
$ 32.00 (15 starter fish and fish food)
$ 80.00 (rocks and suction cups)
$ 66.76 (automatic feeder, extra hopper, silicone)
$ 49.73 (plants)
$ 3.78 (white backing for lights)
$ 35.89 (plant fertilizer and 50lbs of gravel)
$ 16.74 (butterfly pleco and 3 golden algae eaters)
$ 127.66 (2 ballasts, 2 lights, 3 plants, 25 ghost shrimp)
$ 2.71 (2 big spherical shaped rocks)
$ 4.21 (spotted XL puffer)
$ 24.76 (acryllic feeding rod, suction cup for cucumber,
hopper for feeder)
$ 59.21 (petco supplies: two 18" bubbler bars, food, flora
pride)
$ 39.99 (second automatic fish feeder)
$ 47.79 (25 ghost shrimp, 1 red crab, 1 brazilian sword,
spirullina pellets, plankton, 1 year membership to marks aquarium)
$ 220.04 (main fish order off of www.aquariumfish.net)
$ 3.24 (baby cichlid pellets, sold back 14 red eye tetra)
$ 22.26 (2 bamboo shrimp, frozen brine shrimp + spirulina,
frozen emerald vegetable mix)
$ 31.15 (30 ghost shrimp, half portion of blood worms, ornate
bicarb)
$ 225.73 (lots of fish food, python sink attachment, 8 bags,
4.8kg carbon, florapride, algae scrapper)
$ 23.05 (topaz puffer, 30 ghost shrimp)
$ 29.11 2/7/2003 (crushed coral, plants, 30 ghost shrimp)
$ 5.20 2/14/2003 (30 ghost shrimp)
$ 47.60 2/21/2003 (30 ghost shrimp, anubus, onion rush, actinic
24")

thats pretty much everything...if you add it up its actually ~$2900
thats since end of october... water is free for my apartment...the only
thing thats not in there is the power bill
I have 2 fluval 404 canister filters, a digital thermometer, 2 automatic
fish feeders, 6x24" (20W) over the tank, 15lbs of argonite, 130-150lbs of
gravel (I forget how much exactly) 80 or so lbs of rocks
ohh I also have TONS of fish food I've purchased in bulk from
www.drsfostersmith.com (when you buy 2.2lbs of hikari stuff its expensive
$30-50)
"Dustin" wrote in message
oh wow , what are your stats?
My 125 has a running total of 1799.03 right now. And ive only had it a
month.

Any Pics?

Dustin

"Christopher" wrote in message
ink.net...
$3k for a custom setup sounds mighty reasonable to me, I'm up to $2700

on
my
125g... (but that includes fish and food and such)

"350X_Rider" wrote in message
Where is the best place to custom order an Acrylic Tank? Guessing

Acrylic
is the best way to go on large tanks 200+gal?

When a friend researched putting a 200+ tank in his house, he had to
contract with a builder, for codes, foundation checking, load

balancing,
structural integrity and other issues...

He found that some/alot of contractors know people who "custom

install"
acrylic tanks per the blue prints from the owners...

You might find one such builder/contractor in your area... They can

build,
install, plumb, run your wires, whatever you need.... but yep, did

cost
him
nearly $3k for a 285gallon tank in his living room... and in his

kitchen
and
in his den... it's a 3 sided tank. it's something like 8feet long,

3feet
tall, 4feet wide

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Pete in the Colorado Mtns

I have my tank/stand sitting on top of a sheet of 1" plywood on top of
the flooring to help distribute the weight around a bit, and it's only a
55g. I'll be adding 6x6 landscaping timber joists underneath the
existing joists (in large crawl space) when I get my 125.

I plan to get a glass tank rather than acrylic - I like being able to
use a razor scraper on the inside.

pete

Dustin wrote:
I agree with Leigh here.

I put in 3 *24,000 lb* floor joysts before puttin in the tank. since I have
a full basement.

Its the strongest point in the house now

"LeighMo" wrote in message

would this be a problem at all if you put it on the first floor?

Yes, it can be.

I've read
that all homes have to be spec'd to 1.5lbs/in^2 min, on EVERY floor

Even if that's true...that means a 6' by 18" "footprint" will hold less

than

2,000 pounds:

72" x 18" = 1296 square inches

1.5 x 1296 = 1944 pounds

So, in water alone: 1944 pounds /8.3 pounds per gallon = 234 gallons

But...it's not just water alone you have to worry about. There's also the
weight of the tank and stand, the gravel, rocks, driftwood, filter, hood,

etc.

Plus the weight of anyone standing by the tank to watch it. :-)

And the real-life situation can be a lot more complicated. The weight

won't be

distributed evenly over the "footprint." Depending on the stand you get,

it

will distributed over four or six or eight small feet, or around the edges

of

the stand. You definitely want the feet to be on the joists, if you have

stand with feet.

In sum, I would really save the upstairs for smaller tanks. For the first
floor, if you have a slab, you'll probably be okay as long as you don't go
crazy. If you have a basement, shore up the first floor from the basement

(you

can get "instant footings" from Home Depot). And do it *before* you set

up the

tank. Once the tank is set up and filled, it's too late -- the beams are
already deformed.

Leigh

pete

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Dustin

Hi,

Ive been away, but I will post the totals when I return.

What is Marcs Aquarium? is that the wholesale place? ANy good?

Thanks!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Bill Beam

If you need a razor scraper - you're waiting too long to clean your
tank.

..

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Pete in the Colorado Mtns

No, not really. I have 6 otos in there that work on the glass and
everything else, but over a several week period I'll start to get a very
thin and hardly noticable film of green on the inside glass. I can let
this go for a good month or more before I start noticing it, and then
I'll do a quick scrape on the weekly water change day. Otherwise my
algae problem has gotten to be quite minimal - a small (and getting
smaller) amt of green thread algae and the very gradual buildup of the
glass. The razor scraper does a much quicker and better job than
scrubbers and other scrapers that I've tried. The glass is crystal
clear when I'm done.

Just a few months ago I was clearing out quite a lot of green thread,
but since I've started dosing KNO3 on a regular basis (the eheim
liquidoser is just great!), the other plants are growing much faster
than they had been. My red melon sword had sat for 2 yrs at about 1.5"
high and about 2" across - no bigger. Now it's a good 8" high and 6"
across - putting out these long reddish leaves at a couple a week. My
crypts are doing much better as well. Got some tiny (also for 2 yrs)
amazon swords that are *finally* putting out new leaves and getting
higher. I need more light for them, so they'll continue to be slower,
but at least they're doing something.

.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Sara

I am setting up a 300 gallon in my closet for $5000 bucks including
everything I need. The tank is 1,040 by Perfecto.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Christopher

I assume freshwater?
that actually seems a bit high to me, could you give me the breakdown of the
price? Because in essence some of the things I bought for my tank are the
same you would have to buy for yours...those little bottles of _____
chemical at $10 each add up quickly...
om...