Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
linda mar

Default removing snail eggs

Hi all,

yesterday, during my weekly tank maintenance, I saw a glob of snail eggs on
my *tiny* newly sprouting crypt leaf.

since this particular crypt took a while to start producing leaves (was
suffering for a bit since it was too small), I didn't want to do what I
usually do with snail eggs.. just chop the green stuff that the eggs are
attached to it and throw it away.

I've tried pulling it off of the leaf, but it was so glued on, I coudln't do
it without pulling out the plant from the gravel (it's a very small baby
plant).. so I ended up snipping the poor thing. it had two small sprouting
leaves, now it only has one :-( and no other leaves (I hope this baby
survives!)

So, I was wondering, are there any other way to mechanically get rid of the
snail eggs without sacrificing plant leaves or using chemicals? if the eggs
were on some fast-growing stuff, or bushy plants, I probably would not have
minded, but in this instance, it was painful to pinch what little green
that poor little plant had...

any insight is appreciated..

Linda

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Christopher

I find that getting nature to control nature works best.
In this case get something to eat snails, that way they can hatch all they
want but their numbers will be kept very small to non-existent. My personal
favorite is a topaz puffer but that might be too aggressive/big for your
tank, most puffers like snails, there are also loaches and I have heard some
crustaceans like them as well...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
SueBRoo

Hi Linda,
Go to the store and get yourself a turkey baster. They work wonderful,you
just suck those eggs right out, at first it might be hard to do, but the
more you do the easier it gets.
I use one for my unwanted snail eggs.
good luck,
Sue,

ink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Daryn

My yoyo loaches ate the snails in my tank to extinction in record time,
but, since I wanted the snails for live food, I had to make a refugium to
protect the breeder snails.
And yoyos are great fun to watch, like fishy kittens (chasing, stalking,
sleeping in piles...on their sides and upside-down, etc). The situation is
a total win-win!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
linda mar

Hi Sue,

huh. turkey baster? never thought of using that, what a clever idea!
thanks! I'll try it next time...

linda

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
linda mar

hi,

unfortunately, given what I plan to get for the tank, I dont' think I'll
have room for snail eater unless one exists that is about 1" long! :-P

thanks!
linda

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
kush

If you can find them, try horsehead loaches. They are long, mine are about
4", but so skinny one probably masses less than an oto. I have two and, so
far as I can tell, they exist 100% on snail eggs. And they're REAL cool
looking.