Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
WhiskerFish

Default SAE Appropriate Home??

Hey all

Was reading about "true" SAE's on the Aquariumfish websight and they
mention

" An aquarium with an exterior power filter and a bio-wheel, and at
most 1/4 inch of gravel. Siamese Algae Eaters usually don't need an
aquarium heater, and they seem to well from about 68 to 80 degrees F."

What is this thing about "at most 1/4 inch of gravel"?? I have never
heard of such a thing or am I all wet here? Maybe a misprint?? Link
is below.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...amese.htm#top2

WF

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
LeighMo

What is this thing about "at most 1/4 inch of gravel"??

That's an AquariumFish.net thing. They make that recommendation for all tanks,
not just those holding SAEs. The idea being that deeper gravel is harder to
keep clean, and more likely to go sour. It's probably a good recommendation
for a beginner, with the typical beginner's non-planted tank.

Obviously, it doesn't apply for planted tanks.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Christopher

I've had good experience with aquariumfish, I ordered like 40 fish from them
and EVERY one made it fine in transit (although san diego to LA isn't that
far). But I really say that their blanket statement for the type of tank
kinda sounds to me like the warnings you read on Q-tip boxes "do not insert
in ear". Everyone does it, no one ever has problems, but they put it up for
liability sake to cover themselves. As for a biowheel I don't know that
many people who use them, I've got 2 canister filters and they work just
fine...but if I were to take the advice of aquariumfish.net as gospel it
would appear as if all my fish should be dead instead of thriving...ohhh
well...

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
LeighMo

I've had good experience with aquariumfish, I ordered like 40 fish from them
and EVERY one made it fine in transit (although san diego to LA isn't that
far).

I had a great experience with them, too, and I live in NY -- across the country
from them. I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat.

But I really say that their blanket statement for the type of tank
kinda sounds to me like the warnings you read on Q-tip boxes "do not insert
in ear". Everyone does it, no one ever has problems, but they put it up for
liability sake to cover themselves.

Yeah, I think that's it. They are aiming their advice at the newest of
newbies, and it's probably good advice...for newbies. I mean, bio-wheels are
terrific. But they simply aren't necessary for a planted tank.

Leigh