Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Aqua

Default How do you guys measure Stuff?

* How do you MEASURE dosage of fertilizer elements for your tanks?
Chuck's site http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm gives
information about calculating elements. But if you consider dry measure
equivalent and the weight (mass) of 1 tablespoon of KNO3 is not equal to 1
tablespoon of K2SO4. [or 1 LB of K2SO4 is not going to be 16 oz of K2SO4]

* How do you dose KNO3 or other elements? You just drop one teaspoon of KNO3
powder in your tank or mix it with water and pour it in?

* Or how do you measure 10 grams of KNO3? Do you all have scales to measure
such a small quantity?
--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Craig Brye

I take the simple method of measuring the parameters of my 29 gal. tank (130
watts of cf lighting and injected CO2) before I add chemicals. I then added
dry chemicals (for me it was a little over 1/4 teaspoon of KNO3, a small
pinch of PO4 [KH2PO4], and around 4-8mls of trace twice a week, and around
1/2 teaspoon of K2SO4 once a week) to the tank and do weekly water changes
of around 35-50% of the water. I then took measurements after adding
(usually about 6-12 hours later) the chemicals to see where the parameters
were (even if your tests aren't completely accurate, they should still
measure some increase in the corresponding chemicals in the tank). I took
in depth notes almost daily to see what was happening in the tank with
regards to plants and algae. I did this for a couple of months until I had
a pretty good routine down. Now I measure about 1-2 times a week to make
sure my parameters are in check.

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM

"Craig Brye" wrote in message ...
[...]

Cheers to Craig's advice.
Even if the 1/4 teaspoon measurement is off, or if the 1/4 teaspoon
you have is noit the same as mine, or you have a bit more than a level
teaspoon, per 1/4 teaspoon you might be off only about 1-2ppm of NO3.

If you are off 5ppm of K+ and in the range of 20-30ppm, it will not
make one hoot of difference.

1-2ppm of NO3 is not bad, few kits are that accurate anyway.

PO4 is similar to traces, as long as some is supplied every few
days(shoot for 3 with CO2 good lighting etc) the actual measurement
itself is not critical.

CO2 light and NO3 are the most critical elements that will burn you.

Simply adding enough of K, PO4 and traces is the other.

Even if you overdose, a weekly 50% water change removes the errors you
made dosing 1-2x mid week before you do another water change again.

In this manner you maintain a range of nutrients that neither runs out
nor builds up. You re set you tank's nutrients every week and dose by
guessing/approximating in between.

Main test is pH to determine CO2 content.

The others are tested to get a feel or when something is whacky.
Generally you don't even need to test pH is you have a good CO2 system
that stays fairly steady.

So even if Chuck's calcultor is off, does not account for grain sizes
and different brands of KNO3 etc, it is still a fairly robust method.

I add everything except traces dry to the tank.
Generally 3x a week or every 2-3 days. 50-70% weekly water change.

I use
Traces
K2SO4
KNO3
KH2PO4

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Bob Alston

For me the really tough stuff is figuring out small weights. For example,
how much is 20 grams? I needed that recently to mix up some chlorine
remover. I don't have an electronic scale or any scale for that matter. I
took a chance and asked to use the post office's scale - after I mailed a
package. I pulled out my zip lock bag of small clear crystals (sodium
thiosulfate) and told them why. They were very cordial and didn't even give
me a funny look.

But once you know, and can convert into a volume measure (for me, 2 slightly
rounded teaspoons of sodium thiosulfate is 20 grams - put with water to make
500 ml gives a solution that will remove chlorine at 1 drop of my solution
per gallon).

Bob

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Aqua

Even if you overdose, a weekly 50% water change removes the errors you
made dosing 1-2x mid week before you do another water change again.

For the past one month I followed the similar method
Traces - dry 1/4 teaspoon (Mon & Thu)
K2SO4 - dry 1/2 Teaspoon (Sat)
KNO3 - dry 1/2 teaspoon (Mon & Thu)
KH2PO4 - dry Small pinch (Mon & Thu)
MgSO4 - dry 1 teaspoon (Sat)
NaCO3 (Baking Soda) - dry 1/4 Teaspoon (Sat)
50%Water Change - (Sat)
pH - 6.4 to 6.8
kH - 3 to 4
GH - 6 to 8
Light: 2.7 Watts/Gal

Fish Load:
White Clouds - 5
Neon Tetra - 6
Harlequin Rasbora - 7
Blood fin terta - 2
Black Mollies - 1 Pair
Siamese Algae Eaters - 5
Ghost Shrimp - 1 to 3
Amano Shrimp - 1 to 3
Otocinclus Affinis [Otto] - 4
Cherry Barb - 5
Bolivian Ram - Just 1
Mystery Snails - 4

Plants are growing nicely and fishes are all fine. My problem is suddenly I
am getting Green dust on my glasses. I do not have any other algae problems.
My tap water KH & GH is 2-3 and I started dosing MgSO4 and Baking Soda with
water change.

The Green dust on my glass is rally a pain. I would appreciate any help in
this regard.

Thanks and Regards
Dominic

Old 20-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Djay

You can go to anyplace that sells baking goods and buy a scale that will
measure from zero to one hundred grams.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:24 AM

The Green dust on my glass is rally a pain. I would appreciate any help in
this regard.

Thanks and Regards
Dominic

Green dust is a zoospore that after you wipe it off, it simply re
settles back on the glass. They look like little spikey hemispheres.

A good way to get rid of it is to do a good scrubbing of the glass
etc, do a large water change right afterwards, and-or run a micron
filter or some extra floss etc to remove the spores before they re
settle back and start growing again.
The filter byitself can do a good job if you scrub a couple of times a
day.

They re settle in about 1-2 hours time and you have a new film
growing.

It's not particularlly harmful to mplants and seldom grows on them.
But it can be annoying since it coveres the glass fast. Some Pleco's
will eat it etc.
Regards,
Tom Brr
Old 20-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Craig Brye

I add the exact same chemicals as you. If you had my 29 gal. tank with the
130 watts of lighting, ect., what would you add for ingredients? I got this
idea from you, and so far I like it quite a bit. I'm probably going to go
back to doing a water change 1 time every two weeks (maybe not either).
Everything is growing good (hornwart grows 4-6" a day [yes, a day] and my
Osiris sword grows a new leaf about every day, my wendtii has over 400
leaves and is threatening to take over the tank), and algae is almost
non-existent, although the recent upgrade from 110 watts to 130 watts has
left minimal fuzz algae. I would just like to know what you would recommend
for my sized tank (if you were the owner)?

Thanks

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

" wrote in message
om...
"Craig Brye" wrote in message

[...]

Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 05:07 PM
what do you guys think about this? RedForeman ©® Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 15-09-2003 07:32 PM
YOU GUYS NEED A LIFE! Jay Ponds 5 18-04-2003 01:44 AM
How do you guys measure Stuff? Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 03-03-2003 02:17 AM
Missed You Guys! Reka Orchids 2 23-02-2003 09:04 PM