GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   copper in malachite green? T or F? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16696-copper-malachite-green-t-f.html)

linda mar 20-04-2003 07:24 AM

copper in malachite green? T or F?

Hi all,

I recently had an ich scare.. fortunately it went away on its own. But for
future, I bought some Rid-Ich+ which is essentially a blend of malachite
green and formaldehyde.

now, somewhere in the web, it mentioned that malachite green is
copper-based. Is this true? I looked at the chemical structure of
malachite green, and didn't see any copper in its chemical structure. Or do
they add copper in it in the mixture somehow? or is the web information I
read wrong (quite possible)?

reason why i ask is that I have few E. Ozelots, which I was warned that it
is copper sensitive.. so I wanted to make sure Rid-Ich+ will be ok to use in
the tank in an event of an ich outbreak.

linda

linda mar 20-04-2003 07:24 AM

copper in malachite green? T or F?

Good to know! thank you Leigh!

linda
"LeighMo" wrote in message
False. There's no copper in Rid-Ich.

A lot of people think malachite green has copper in it, because malachite,

the
mineral, has copper in it. But malachite green is a dye named for the

*color*
of malachite the mineral. It doesn't actually contain any malachite.

Leigh