Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
HDH

Default Food for Otos if no algae?

Hi All,
I have a moderately planted 55 gallon tank with some, not much, brown algae.
I currently have two Otos and was wondering, if there is not enough algae
left for them to eat, what should I feed them?

Thanks,
-hh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Henry

"I currently have two Otos and was wondering, if there is not enough algae
left for them to eat, what should I feed them?"

I would like to know the answer to that also. (And not just the wise-guy
answer that they will always have enough).

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

1) IMO it wasn't a wiseguy answer. He's right. There will always be enough
algae for two ottos in a 55.

2) If you want to suppliment your ottos diet, you can use blanched spinich,
or blanched cucumber. No guarantees they'll come eat it though.
I have 8 ottos in a 75 and only one of them, the biggest one, ever comes to
eat the spinich. The rest simply ignore it.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
kush

I'm sorry, I didn't intend it as a wiseguy answer. There really IS always
enough algae in a 55 gallon tank for, probably, ten or more full grown otos.
Unless you're using chemicals.

I've had otos for many years and I've never supplemented. I sometimes put
veggie wafers in for my pl*cos, but the otos ignore them.

kush

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
linda mar

I have 4 otos in a 37G.. they won't even LOOK at the algae wafers I gave
them.. so now I use them as a diet variation for the other fish (other
fish=danios only.. since they chase away everybody else that comes near
their "find")

the otos all still look pretty fat, and occasionally I still see some
diatoms growing haze, so I guess there's till enough food.. (just enough
otos to keep up with the cleaning)

linda

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Christopher

what types of algae are ottos best at eating?
do they perhaps eat that course rough algae that loves to grow on glass? I
have 3 CAE, 7 SAE, 1 pleco and they eat everything BUT that type of rough
algae (and its a pain to scrape the glass clean every 2-3 weeks).
"LeighMo" wrote in message
I have a moderately planted 55 gallon tank with some, not much, brown

algae.
I currently have two Otos and was wondering, if there is not enough algae
left for them to eat, what should I feed them?

The others have given you good advice. I doubt your otos will ever starve

in a
tank that size. In fact, I would consider getting a couple more. Otos

are at
their best in small groups, and you have room for them.

Most of my otos aren't interested in anything but algae. In my smaller

tank,
which has no to algae to speak of, the otos sometimes eat the veggies I

put in
for the snails. Zucchini slices (frozen, then thawed), peas, romaine

lettuce,
apple slices, canned green beans. In my large tank, where there's more

algae
and the otos are extremely fat, they are never interested in veggies.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
kush

Empirical evidence only: The only tank I get green dot algae on the glass
is a 20-long with no snails - because it has botias in it. My other tanks
all have fleets of tiny ramshorns scouring the glass day and night.
Unfortunately for drawing firm conclusions, it is also the tank with the
highest light intensity.

kush

LeighMo wrote in message
what types of algae are ottos best at eating?

They like brown algae best. They eat "flat" algae; their sucker mouths

aren't
equipped for eating filamentous algae.

do they perhaps eat that course rough algae that loves to grow on glass?

If CAEs and plecos don't eat it, otos probably wouldn't, either. Nothing
really eats that bright green "spot" algae. It's too hard. Though they

might
eat it when it's still young and soft (and nearly invsible).

I've found snails to be the best at cleaning glass. But once that spot

algae
is old and hard, it's just not very palatable. Get an old credit card and
scrape it.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Christopher

I got a puffer to remove the snails from my tank, no chance of snails coming
back heh. Also I had problems with snails eating my plants, I would get
about 4x more leaves on the surface than I do now...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Christopher

I have also heard this but all I have is the observation of the number of
leaves that floated to the top of my tank. I would get leaves (mostly my
jungle vals) that were 6" long and in perfect health that were floating to
the top. After removal of the snails I get far fewer leaves floating ot the
top.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Also I had problems with snails eating my plants,

It depends on what kind of snails you have, of course. But IME, most

snails
don't eat plants. If there's no other food in the tank, red ramhorns

might
nibble tender new leaves of Hygrophila, but in general, they prefer soft

food
like algae or dying leaves.

Columbian ramhorms (the big striped ones, 1" or more in diameter) do eat
plants. So do apple/mystery snails (except for Pomacea bridgesii, the

planted
tank keeper's best friend). But all the others I've kept -- pond snails,

red
ramshorns, MTS -- don't bother my plants at all.

Leigh