Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
WhiskerFish

Default Lighting Timer Recommendations ??

Hello

Am building a hood with 4 lighting sources and a fan for a 4 foot 55
gal fresh water tank. I am looking for a timer that will afford me
flexibility ( individual circuit control for 6 outlets ) and
longevity. Any recommendations out there??

Thanks Much!

WF
Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Christopher

you would probably end up having to buy 6 individual timers, this would be
cheaper than some custom high tech thing as the individual timers are like
~$4 at target

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Dave Millman

WhiskerFish wrote:

Am building a hood with 4 lighting sources and a fan for a 4 foot 55
gal fresh water tank. I am looking for a timer that will afford me
flexibility ( individual circuit control for 6 outlets ) and
longevity. Any recommendations out there??

After monkeying with this for weeks, I decided that I only needed two
circuits:

* Circuit 1: 110 watts. On 9:30 am, off 9:30 pm
* Circuit 2: 110 watts. On 10am, off 10pm

If you want to control a CO2 solenoid, put it on circuit 1.

Fans are not necessary for my setup. Adequate ventilation keeps things
cool. Take a look at the wide cooling slots in the AH Supply hoods to see
how they do it.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
WhiskerFish

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:16:13 -0800, Dave Millman
wrote:

WhiskerFish wrote:

Am building a hood with 4 lighting sources and a fan for a 4 foot 55
gal fresh water tank. I am looking for a timer that will afford me
flexibility ( individual circuit control for 6 outlets ) and
longevity. Any recommendations out there??

After monkeying with this for weeks, I decided that I only needed two
circuits:

* Circuit 1: 110 watts. On 9:30 am, off 9:30 pm
* Circuit 2: 110 watts. On 10am, off 10pm

If you want to control a CO2 solenoid, put it on circuit 1.

Fans are not necessary for my setup. Adequate ventilation keeps things
cool. Take a look at the wide cooling slots in the AH Supply hoods to see
how they do it.

Got the fan and vents pretty much set. What are you using to run
two seperate circuits?? One timer for each or something that controls
both?
Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Dave Millman

WhiskerFish wrote:

What are you using to run
two seperate circuits?? One timer for each or something that controls
both?

Two timers with grounded outlets, time dials and little pegs. $7.95 each at
Home Depot.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Aqua

Two timers with grounded outlets, time dials and little pegs. $7.95 each
at
Home Depot.

Couple of days back I was searching for a grounded timer in HD. They are all
$15.00 and above? Let me check again.

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Buzzard Face

Check into X10 devices. These can be programmed to activate and deactivate
as well as being controlled by a remote. That's really what some of these
"high" end controllers use.

Buzz

rthlink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
WhiskerFish

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:07:34 GMT, "Buzzard Face"
wrote:

Check into X10 devices. These can be programmed to activate and deactivate
as well as being controlled by a remote. That's really what some of these
"high" end controllers use.

Buzz

Seems like I remember reading about those years ago associated with
home automation systems? Will check it out thanks!

WF
Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Christopher

they are very cool (I've read up on them but never gotten them) It might be
a thing I'll look into when I have a couple $$ to spend on gadgetry....

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Buzzard Face

There are news groups which deal with nothing but home automation:
comp.home.automation and alt.home.automation.

But just a little bit of warning about these groups. It appears that lots
of the people complain about the deficiencies of X10 devices, the problems
they are having and not so much about the praise/success of X10. HA, a lot
like some of the posts in this group.

Buzz

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
WhiskerFish

Thanks. I will do some more research.

WF

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:06:15 GMT, "Buzzard Face"
wrote:

There are news groups which deal with nothing but home automation:
comp.home.automation and alt.home.automation.

But just a little bit of warning about these groups. It appears that lots
of the people complain about the deficiencies of X10 devices, the problems
they are having and not so much about the praise/success of X10. HA, a lot
like some of the posts in this group.

Buzz

.. .

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Buzzard Face

Check out www. x10. com and radio shack. Levitron also carries these
products. They are all pretty much interchangeable. The difference really
is which programmer/software to use.

Buzz