Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default apon flowering again...how to plant seeds?

In my 48 gallon at work, the apon sent up another stalk (did it a few months
ago too) and is flowering. It took 3 days to grow over 2 feet! Anyways...how
does one plant the seeds from the flower? We tried drying out the flower and
taking the tiny black seeds from the pods and scattering them around in the
gravel...but...we're still not sure what the seeds looked like--or if the
pods were the seeds themselves??

Anyone have any experience with apons?

Thanx!!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Craig Brye

Let the seed pods (fruit) open by themselves, which they will do when the
seeds are ready. The seeds will then float to the surface of the water
where they will germinate (and can then be sown). You'll want to collect
the seeds (put the seeds where you want them to grow, or can be placed in a
small fish bowl until roots appear) rather quickly after they have floated
to the surface because they will lose their germination rather quickly.

This can really be a difficult task at best to perform. Germination rates
are usually very low unless you have strong lighting and a temperature at 30
degrees C or higher.

Hope this helps... Good Luck!

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

. ca...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
triathlon

Let nature take it's course. Let the seed pods develop and disperse in
the tank, which they will do without any help. After they have been
released if you need to relocate them, you can do so then, or wait until
they actually sprout (times vary according to light and temperature)
then replant them where you will. Good luck on a simple plant that's fun
to watch.
Walt