Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
dGH

Default Theoretical question for DIY yeast

If one were to connect an air pump and air stone INTO the 2L pop bottle so
that the yeast mixture was constantly bubbling: The net effect would be
that your output from the bottle would be CO2 enriched air which
continuously bubbled into the aquariium (or reactor). BUT, the yeast
reaction would never turn anaerobic, which means the product would simply be
CO2 and water. The yeast would never die, and the kit would never have to
be restarted or replaced. Theoretically you could just add another cup of
sugar each week to keep up the CO2 production.

Does this seem feasible? I'm thinking that the yeast population might grow
too big and therefore need "trimming" once in a while. I'm thinking of
using some sort of split aquaclear filter which would have a hinged lid on
one side (to open to add sugar), and a bleed screw on the other side to
bleed off excess water and yeast. The top would obviously have to be
sealed.

Yes, this may sound eccentric, but in theory it should work.

Incidentally:

(aerobic) Glucose + Yeast --CO2 + Water + energy

(anaerobic) Glucose + Yeast -- CO2 + Alcohol + energy

If it does, I claim patent before Nutrafin can grab it.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Empty

"dGH" wrote in
:

If one were to connect an air pump and air stone INTO the 2L pop
bottle so that the yeast mixture was constantly bubbling: The net
effect would be that your output from the bottle would be CO2 enriched
air which continuously bubbled into the aquariium (or reactor). BUT,
the yeast reaction would never turn anaerobic, which means the product
would simply be CO2 and water. The yeast would never die, and the kit
would never have to be restarted or replaced. Theoretically you could
just add another cup of sugar each week to keep up the CO2 production.

The problem is not that the water and sugar turns anaerobic, but rather
that it turns alcoholic. As the proof goes up, the yeast starts dying off.
On top of that, adding air bubbles would no doubt cause surface turbulence,
which would hurt your CO2 levels as well.

~Empty
--
'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other
Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
E. Mito

In article , Empty
writes:

The problem is not that the water and sugar turns anaerobic, but rather
that it turns alcoholic. As the proof goes up, the yeast starts dying off.
On top of that, adding air bubbles would no doubt cause surface turbulence,
which would hurt your CO2 levels as well.

I don't think adding air bubbles would decrease CO2 output; I've wanted to try
this very experiment to see how CO2 output would be affected but just never
gotten around to setting it up. Since yeast cultures grown up in a lab are
done so with constant agitation, I can only imagine that bubbling air into the
solution would only enhance growth. Alcohol production, however, is a problem,
and I'm guessing that if you enhance growth too much you might get increased
CO2 output but would deplete the yeast nutrients quicker. If you wanted to
prolong your culture you could just decant the nutrient-depleted supernatant
after CO2 generation drops and add a new sugar water solution -- the yeast
tends to sediment into an inactive pellet.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
dGH

"E. Mito" wrote in
article , Empty
writes:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback.
Perhaps I'm interpreting something incorectly, but from what I've read on
the net, alcohol isn't produced when the yeast are aerobic.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Tasslehoff

Thanks for the feedback.
Perhaps I'm interpreting something incorectly, but from what I've read on
the net, alcohol isn't produced when the yeast are aerobic.

I'm not certain about this but I think injecting air into the culture
increases the amount of yeast thus also increasing CO2 production and
shortening the available nutrients in a quicker amount of time, not to
mention wild Ph fluctuations.